Last Week Tonight Coup: John Oliver Interviews Edward Snowden

crua9
9 years ago | edited 9 years ago

It’s pretty sad to see how little people care about cyber security.

I’ve even notice it on my YT channel that people tend to care more about how to track someone, DDOS someone, or find someones IP address. And, virtually no one cares about the stuff that really screws you over.

13replies
7voices
241views
michael.vanstaden9208
9 years ago

[u]crua9[/u] has a point,

However…
to close a hole, you need to know where it is…

Getting to know how things work can easaly help you determine how to stop it from working.

It is true though that people much rather want to “Hack” others than protecting themselves from being hacked.
using what you learn to acctually “hack” your home network may very well help you protect your own network.

[b]DO NOT HACK OTHERS, ITS KIND OF ILLIGAL (IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE CORRECT PERMISSION FROM THE CORRECT PEOPLE)
IN SOME COUTRIES “HACKING” IS PUNISHABLE BY LIFE IN PRISON[/b]

crua9
9 years ago | edited 9 years ago

That’s not what I mean. People tend to only want to know those things and nothing else.

Like, people don’t care about social engineering, viruses, how to make a polymorphic malware, how to find exploits, and so on.

I think people are just stupid, and they are looking for the things that SOUND cool. Hell, I was going to say they were to stupid to do the more difficult things. But, things like ARP poising a network is stupid easy.

Then again, that’s what keeps most of us in business and jobs like coding so worth while

$$
v

BTW, I might as well mention this. I know of a solution to the NSA problem.
The gov can give everyone free high speed net, and they can collect our data. The only trade off is that we should be allowed to pay for higher speed private net. Also, we should be allowed to use things like VPNs and TOR (because there is a ton of people that need it for work).
Lastly, they must composite a great amount if the gov gets hacked, and someones info gets leaked.

I wonder how many others would be OK with a deal like this.

dalfor
9 years ago

Actually I would be ok with it. It is sort of like the toll highway…you can pay for faster travel or take a slower alternative free route. They collect my travel habits etc…Then again all I have on my computer is challenge tools and pr0n :)

michael.vanstaden9208
9 years ago

I think that people tend to want to learn things like DDOS and so on, mainly because they are not aware of any other lets call it “Hacks”
They are un-informed and i would say lazy, maby because a DDOS and all other falling in the same category is easy-ish.

no one wants to acctually take the time to do it right to follw basics:

• Planning and Preparation
  • Information Gathering and Analysis
  • Vulnerability Detection
  • Penetration Attempt
  • Analysis and Reporting
  • Cleaning Up

The common mindeset is as follows:

LETS BREAK SH!T, YAH!!

And that my friend defines the people you are referring to.

As for the NSA thing..

not a bad Idea, but even paid net wont stop the goverment from doing what they please,

http://thehackernews.com/2015/02/hard-drive-firmware-hacking.html is just one more example of how far they will go…

dloser
9 years ago

The problem is that people are uneducated on the subject and that it is not a priority for them. It’s not about being stupid or not. People are trying to get/keep their lifes on track and generally tend to close themselves off from the bigger overwhelming issues on this planet that they don’t have a direct means of dealing with for.

It’s also interesting that you complain about people not caring about security and being stupid, while at the same time making what seem to be a pretty uneducated and unrealistic solution that doesn’t actually deal with the issues. But more on that in the other thread, I guess.

The_Solyom
8 years ago

I feel that the general public who wish to hack do it because the human race is generally nosy. They want to know what the neighbours are doing, how much they earn, what they do in their spare time. It is not for malicious reasons, ok, maybe “borrowing” the next door neighbours bandwidth is illegal, but using it for a week to check email until theirs is installed is hardly a major crime.

Having just watched the show we can clearly see that the general public has (in general) not a clue about privacy. What is frightening is that the US, and obviously ALL other governments are monitoring the publics private business. Whilst the show was tongue in cheek it shows by the dick analogy that whatever the public send electronically can and is monitored by government agencies. What we need to consider is where it will end? Phone taps on every phone? Face recognition on every street corner? Postal services allowed to open mail?
Here in the UK, at least in London, we now have the Oyster card. It should be named the Tracker card. You cannot get on a bus with cash anymore. Every journey you make using the card is logged, time and date. We have more cctv per capita than the rest of the world and still we have high crime rates, muggings, street robberies etc so what is it being used for?

We unfortunately are in a catch 22 situation, we need security, terrorists are everywhere and gaining momentum.
As my Father used to say,“ If you’re doing nothing wrong then you have nothing to worry about”
If I send a picture of my naked body with a pineapple up my arse I am doing nothing wrong (well legally any way) but it is personal. For my wifes eyes only but how are we going to draw a line between what is personal and what is in the countries security interests?
Unfortunately I think there is no answer, someone among the billions alive will always take offence. It is the world we live in.

Sniper.Dr
8 years ago

hey baddy whatsup?
just wanne get some news from you guys

Sniper.Dr
8 years ago

so just getting stug on one things and for that I need some help from you guys it the encrypt password just try find any solution for that

Sniper.Dr
8 years ago

so just getting stug on one things and for that I need some help from you guys it the encrypt password just try find any solution for that

Sniper.Dr
8 years ago

I’m just nothing compar to you guys but what I need is just to become like you guys by myself I will never succed it why I want you guys to be my master because you know more than me

dloser
8 years ago

@Sniper.Dr**: This is not the right place for any of those posts. Also, it would help if you would write properly and use only one post instead of four.

Mr. Cyph3r [MrCyph3r]
8 years ago

[quote=Sniper.Dr]by myself I will never succed it[/quote]

See @Sniper.Dr … this is the main issue, if you keep thinking this way then yes, you will demonstrate to yourself that your thoughts were right.
I suggest you to change your motivational thoughts as soon as possible.

crua9
8 years ago

can anyone say SPAM.
Anyways this website isn’t really showing you real hacking. However, it isn’t a bad place to talk to real white hats who work the real stuff.

But you need to learn how to research stuff if you want to be a real hacker. There is a ton of YouTube videos showing you exactly what to do.

Reply has been removed
You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 14

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss