Multi-Platform Tools

tOxicWast3
10 years ago

I have researched tools of all sorts for multi-platforms, as I mainly run on unix. I have found numerous sites and downloads, but I would like feedback from others on credibility and overall capability. For example, the software off of sectools, like nmap and snort ect… Also, I was looking for other software that I may not know about as well. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

49replies
7voices
367views
Gninja
10 years ago

kali-Linux my fav :)

tOxicWast3
10 years ago

Looks like a good pentest tool. I have been thinking about adding dual boot partition for a linux OS. I am currently running just OSX at the moment.

2 replies have been removed
Gninja
10 years ago

first off what on earth is that @hakime ?????

@tOxicWast3 Dual boot is good but I’ve found installing Kali on a bootable USB is a great way to carry it round seeing as though it will work on almost all computers, they have even added in ARM support for tablets ^__^

tOxicWast3
10 years ago

That is a good idea. I carry around numerous other tools on a USB anyway. Thanks for the info. I still plan on putting gentoo on a seperate external drive. I like the idea of having full control over the whole OS

tOxicWast3
10 years ago

Hey Hakime,

Is that even english?

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Hmm, i think BackTrack 5 is too good to be ignored !!!

Its specially dedicated to hacking and pentesting !!!
I generally do all my exploitation stuff on BT 5 !!!

tOxicWast3
10 years ago

IAmDevil I had a chance to check the BackTrack 5 site and I can see why you chose this for most of your pentesting and exploitation. This will definitely be added to my list of tools. Thanks for the recommendation.

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

No problem bro always ready to help !!

Gninja
10 years ago

Kali is the new BT ^__^

tOxicWast3
10 years ago

Thanks Gninja,

I actually downloaded both to get a side-by-side comparison, if you will. I would also like to have something that runs on my Mountion Lion side as well though, any thoughts on that? Neither one run on that OS. I do not mind running linux at all, I actually like it quite a bit but I also do a lot of work on here as well and would like something besides my terminal. Oh, by the way, how are you guys posting user names as links without the whole url showing up?

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

I didn’t check out Kali yet but i will now !!!
Hope its better than BT !!

tOxicWast3
10 years ago

Just curious IAmDevil, but why do you hope it is better? Are you seeing too many issues with the software or steep learning curve on GUI?

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Yup , i am facing certain problems like some of my tools automaticly close down !! The boot was also sometimes slow !!
But BT is just awesome as it comes with a variety of tools and its theme just great !!!

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

What all tools does Kali already have ??? Anyone

tOxicWast3
10 years ago

IAmDevil,

From what I was reading they have taken or are working on making BT a full-fledged OS, so the kali linux (which is one of their own) software looks to be taking its place in the form of an individual pentest/metasploit software. It has all the functionality and is quite the same of BT actually. I think they are attempting to broaden their horizon by implementing an OS along with continuing to maintain focus on exploits and security precautions.

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Just put on download !!!
Lets see how good is it !!!

tOxicWast3
10 years ago

Let me know what you think after running it through a few steps. It may be a good idea to go ahead and keep both and utilize what you need from one and get the rest from another.

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Yeah , that’s right but my hard disk is too small !!!!
I’m saving for 1TB !!!

tOxicWast3
10 years ago

I bought a 1TB external for my mac and I think I only paid $100 for it. It was set up for NAT but I did a direct connect with a CAT- 6 and a 300 GB backup took maybe 30 mins.

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Hmm , i till today managed to save $76 !!!
I’m too planning to connect it to my external 500 GB !!!
All my important stuff is on my 32 GB pen drive !!
Too pissed off !!!

? [djsimon21]
10 years ago

I have 3T hard drives and still buying more lol never enough :)

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Yeah , never enough !!!
Saving money to buy HD is a pain in the ass !!!

? [djsimon21]
10 years ago

how much do the cost there for a 1 TB

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Here the currency is Rupees (Rs.) !!!
Here it is almost Rs. 5,000 - 6,000

? [djsimon21]
10 years ago

yes i have just had a look and same price over here about 70

tOxicWast3
10 years ago

Hey IAmDevil,

How much are looking to spend on this new drive? I did some google searches and found some 3-4 TB for rather cheap. They are also 3.0 USB.

DaGr8Kornolio
10 years ago

Someone from India? It’s kewl… what is your mother tongue? By the way, give a try with a SSD. That kicks ass!!!

Gninja
10 years ago

Since I got SSD I haven’t gone back the only criticism is the bigger in size you go the slower it gets :( role on quantum lol

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Bingo !!!
That’s right !!!:D

Gninja
10 years ago

@IAmDevil this is worth a read LINK

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

That is a good link !!
But at the end Price matters !!!
SSD needs a deep pocket !!!
For now I’ll stick to HDD !!!

Gninja
10 years ago

The better a hacker you become the more you realise the hardware needs to be better as well

tOxicWast3
10 years ago

Hey IAMDevil,

On BackTrack 5 what is the purpose of the terminal application called terminator?

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Terminator is the same as Terminal window !!!
With just a little more functions !!!
It is also used to customize the GENOME terminals !!!

tOxicWast3
10 years ago

HMM…might have to play around with that abit, sounds like it could get fun.

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Hmm , I’m still in the process of learning Linux !!!
Its very intresting !!!!

? [djsimon21]
10 years ago

I’m a lover of linux :)

tOxicWast3
10 years ago

If you are familiar with the Unix commands in terminal they are fairly similar. I am in the process of update BT 5 R3 and from I am seeing in the update file it is fixing a lot of problems in software that looks to be from broken kernels and patches. Will update on how it works when it is done.

R4z0r
10 years ago

BT5 R3 has left the building Kali-Linux now sits in its place with over 300+ tools and more compatibility even with touch devices. I’ve wiped a surface and loaded it on its great for portability. I would really recommend having a go at building your own .iso it feels great to have a pen testing OS at your fingertips that’s customised with only the content you want.

tOxicWast3
10 years ago

R4z0r,

BT5 R3, in my own opinion is still worth having. Kali-Linux has come along, and from the same maker but why throw it away when you could always have both. If Kali-Linux was to be a replacement why would they continue with extensive updates to the whole system. It must be for a reason.

tOxicWast3
10 years ago

R4z0r,

BT5 R3, in my own opinion is still worth having. Kali-Linux has come along, and from the same maker but why throw it away when you could always have both. If Kali-Linux was to be a replacement why would they continue with extensive updates to the whole system. It must be for a reason. I have spot for it but now that you mentioned building your own I may take that option instead.

R4z0r
10 years ago

Yes its only there as they see the move to Debian support taking Kali more towards an actual OS. But fair point having both is great ;)

tOxicWast3
10 years ago

R4z0r,

BT5 R3, in my own opinion is still worth having. Kali-Linux has come along, and from the same maker but why throw it away when you could always have both. If Kali-Linux was to be a replacement why would they continue with extensive updates to the whole system. It must be for a reason. I have spot for it but now that you mentioned building your own I may take that option instead.

? [djsimon21]
10 years ago

I have BT5 R3 and it is a nice tool to have :)

tOxicWast3
10 years ago

R4z0r,

Since I only like to keep one VM at a time, to help with memory and space allocations. I decided to give kali a good run over. Honestly, I do agree that it has more of an OS feel with Debian support. I am actually using Iceweasel to login and send this message. I plan to keep BT5 on USB, but I will keep kali in the VM from now on. Not as stable just yet but I have already received a big update that solved some issues. Way more to play with on kali, that is for sure.

R4z0r
10 years ago

tOxicWast3, glad you like it :) Its definitely the future

tOxicWast3
10 years ago

R4z0r,

Yes it is, once they fine tune the behavior and code clashes it most certainly be hard to beat. I still need to learn how to use some of the tools that I am not that familiar with, but it should come in due time.

Gninja
10 years ago

All aboard the Kali train :p ….dont get left standing at the platform people :D

R4z0r
10 years ago

tOxicWast3 even with the current bugs its a great free tool and it wont be long until they get it all ironed out ;) chooooo chooooo Gninja the train wont leave the station until everyone’s on board lol

Discussion thread has been locked. You can no longer add new posts.
1 of 50

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss