Steganography Help

0xBBA5

pinnouse
8 years ago | edited 8 years ago

This level is definitely one of the more interesting ones and I’m honestly stumped, I know many people are directing those to other threads, but they are impossible to read, also, I mainly posted here to ask if anybody has any links to direct me to great resources regarding cryptography and steganography that can help me understand this level.

14replies
2voices
461views
dloser
8 years ago

I’m afraid the level doesn’t make enough sense for resources to be helpful.

pinnouse
8 years ago

In that case, are there any ideas on where I need to start?

dloser
8 years ago

As always: analysing what you have.

(And perhaps trying to read the other threads anyway… ;))

pinnouse
8 years ago

I would like to know what my goal is at first, so I have the image and easily deciphered the text file, what am I to get out of it? I have thought about replacing the hex values, but when I got to that part, the value was already there, there was no point in changing it, I haven’t found any procedure yet and I am not sure what my next step should be, nor what I should be getting out of the image.

dloser
8 years ago

The goal is to get the solution. Not sure what more can be said. This is the point of these kind of challenges, no knowing what should be done and try to figure it out anyway.

pinnouse
8 years ago

I would like to ask at least one thing though, am I supposed to be able to see the image on my computer, because I know that the web browser cannot display it properly, but on my Windows 10 desktop (I can boot debian, ubuntu, kali; If I ever need to) I can view the image with ease, it’s only when I am to put it in a third-party editing software (ie. photoshop) that it doesn’t display. So, am I supposed to be able to see it? (btw, I see a hackthis logo with a bunch of noise)

pinnouse
8 years ago

But my question is that was it intended to be seen in the first place? Online cannot see, offline displays properly.

dloser
8 years ago

It is what it is. Just deal with it.

pinnouse
8 years ago

Alright, it doesn’t matter whether I can view it, thank you for the swift responses, I believe I have found what I needed, I was concerned about replacing the text (which isn’t required), but I so far can only understand the first part of what I have.

pinnouse

[Removed Spoiler]

dloser
8 years ago

Uhm… you might want to remove that spoiler post…

2 replies have been removed
pinnouse

Scratch my last post as I have realized that I haven’t gotten to a certain point yet, currently, I have found the cipher method, but I am looking for the key and the plain text which itself should be quite a large hint, but continuing on, I’m guessing I have all the resources as I have 2 images and I am not sure how to continue at this point. I’m not sure if some pointers could help, but anything would, like if I should use the hint at this point or I’m not even close…

Branching off from that, I don’t believe the second image has any resourceful significance other than being a guide, I do not believe there is anything hidden within it, right? I mean, it is in a lossy format.

pinnouse
8 years ago

I think I’m nearing the end, I believe I have found the ‘plain text’ using the hint of the level, I’m now trying to figure out the key.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 15

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss