Can I make an encrypted link containing a video?

_---x_
8 years ago

Hello,

I have only been on here twice…

I am very new and not that skilled in computers. I wanted to send a video to a friend ( well acquaintance really )
BUT I don’t want them to save this video nor view it more than once

SO I was wondering if in the in law of information technology is it possible if I can make a encrypted link which containing a media which will delete after it’s been opened or basically you can only view it once and preferably you can’t save it.

I’m sure that encrypted isn’t the correct term + Is this illegal ?

I don’t want to hear it’s stupid, or why or even if you don’t know how to do this then you shouldn’t bother try at all. Just whether it’s possible in the law of technology or not.

Thanks x

43replies
8voices
325views
2 replies have been removed
_---x_
8 years ago

I just need an encrypted ( not right word ) link containing a file ( preferable only can be viewed once/deleted after a time limit…)

dloser
8 years ago

Step 1: acquire patience.

What you want is very difficult, if not impossible. It’s kind of a holy grail for media corporations.

The closest you can probably come is by having it being streamed from some server based on some access token you can distribute. There are all kinds of issues with it though. For instance, what if my connection dies? Can I still continue where I was?

There would be nothing illegal about providing something like that, I’m sure. The legal issues are more likely on the side of enforcing (e.g. suing people who save it anyway).

_---x_
8 years ago

I’m willing for patience in this….. i dont care.

I just want to learn how to do it :)

dloser
8 years ago

Yes, and I want all the money and women in the world. Tell me how to do that! NOW!!

_---x_
8 years ago

Co'mon, excruciating or not there must be a way, at least I want to learn the alternative.

Couldn’t you at last give me tips or point in the direction to how to b on track to learn, please?

R4kk00n
8 years ago

It seems like eve if you did what you are trying to do, there are still ways a person could save the video.
There re numerous programs and browser add-ons that save streaming video.
Not only that, but how could you stop someone from simply using a screenshot/recording program to record it as they play it?

_---x_
8 years ago

Meh, i’m not so fussed about them saving it or screenshotting it.

Just that thy’ll s it in a link and the link expriers after viewing.

? [bolofecal]
8 years ago

Encryption isn’t illegal the media content can be. If the computer’s person can play the media probably isn’t impossible to smart person save it.

_---x_
8 years ago

“ probably isn’t impossible to smart person save it. ”

thinking of sending it through phone but ok.

_---x_
8 years ago

http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/60965/expiring-aes-key

Isn’t this a an expired encryption link? haven’t read the article thoroughly.

2 replies have been removed
R4kk00n
8 years ago

So I read that article. If you look at the bottom where the replies are, you will see that both replies say that it is not possible.
I don’t know enough about it to verify those answers, but that is what is there.

R4kk00n
8 years ago

Also, it really isn’t necessary to bump a topic because you did not get a response in 2 minutes.
You should try to be more patient, as someone mentioned before. Being pushy and demanding is going to make people not want to help you.

eserrano
8 years ago

The person could also srceen reccord their screen and i dont think theres any way to prevent that ,also you could try using self destructive text messaging apps .

eserrano
8 years ago

Also i think (i may be wrong )but if you host yuor own site with the video i think you can set the expire date for the cookie for your site and you could do something that way so the person has to log in to see it.

_---x_
8 years ago

Oh okay,

I don’t think that they said I was being pushy with replies, they said that this is basically something only internet gurus ( if that, impossible for anyone else) can do so if I want to learn and/or want it to happen, I’m going to have to be patient about it ( dloser was the first person to comment, I’m not sure if I have missed any comments on here)

I’m sorry you feel I was pushy. I wasn’t bumping because I didn’t get a reply in two minutes. I usually bump on forums for answers so that I can get more attention from the people with the right answers who maybe have missed my thread ( for example 90% of users may not be sure if you can achieve this or not but there just might be that 1(0)% out there who hasn’t seen this thread that does, highly unlikely anyone here does, but hey-ho worth a shot) I hope that doesn’t sound irrational.

This cannot simply be true though. I refuse to believe it’s impossible. I may know Jack all about hacking ( inv4 my first thread) and the majority would agree it’s very difficult , but I’m sorry, mission or not to achieve, there’s got to be a way that that’s possibke. Nothing is impossible, on the net. If so top hackers wouldn’t be getting away without caught.

_---x_
8 years ago

eserrano, oh so I could set the expire date so that they can only view it once ? :D ?

Ahhh, tbh I’ve rather a link though. I’m going to be censoring out the video anyway, so the person will know what’s going on BUT they won’t be able to screenshot the real image….

If possible to have a host website, I wouldn’t want the domain to be public , maybe that doesn’t make sense but I wouldn’t want to video to be uploaded on a website for everyone[i] to see.

Other replies of help would be appreciated ?

Mugi [Mugiwara27]
8 years ago

What about making a website that let you see the video
Then a php script that do not let you navigate to the *.mp4 link / Delete the video when the page is refreshed / the full video is viewed
That’s the only way I can imagine for your idea :p

dloser
8 years ago

Actually my first reply was about you bumping. Especially because it has no effect when you do it right after you just posted. The idea of a bump is to get attention to a thread that needs it but is no longer “visible”. The way you do it is useless and annoying.

Nothing is impossible, on the net. If so top hackers wouldn’t be getting away without caught.
Sense-O-Meter: 0.

Mugi [Mugiwara27]
8 years ago

unless Nothing_is_impossible()  
    puts "THAT'S FALSE"  
_---x_
8 years ago

I don’t see the problem with it. It gives the thread super-extra attention which is what I want. I didn’t do it straight away I waited a little while ( about five minutes) , replied is it too high tech, gave it a bump after a minute and then simplified my question. The extra bump in the middle of the thread, was because again I’m hoping I’ll gain attention from the person who missed the thread who can point me in the right direction? Maybe just be. I don’t know I wasn’t being impatient and flustered that no-one can help me.

I don’t know why you quoted me, I’m sorry I just don’t believe it’s truly that impossible as you have described it , maybe the top 10% of hackers only know how to achieve this, but I think someone else could learn and focus on it, achieve the same thing..

It wasn’t code for ‘ It’s not impossible, you’re lying, plead can you tell right now how to ******* encrypt a link containing a video which will be deleted in 45 milliseconds. I know it’s easy STOP SAYING IT ISN’T!!! ’ I really just don’t believe it’s that out of reach to achieve( with hard work), as you’ve said.

_---x_
8 years ago

Mugiwara27 , yeah I’ll do that , thanks

_---x_
8 years ago

Mugiwara, how can I go go about doing that?

im not sure what a ph4 file is. I’m not that into hacking. (inv4 first thread)

Could you give me details by step on how to achieve this? Thanks :-)

_---x_
8 years ago

Muriwaga27, I don’t believe so, where wouldn’t be new boundaries being set with anything if the ‘impossible’ wasn’t possible. I don’t believe it’s as complicated as thought. Top hackers wouldn’t be getting away with such things, idk

_---x_
8 years ago

Muriwaga27, says you’ve replied to me but I can’t see the reply.

Inbox? Links?

Could you point me to a article or a link on how to make a pf4 file?

dloser
8 years ago

Except that it doesn’t give the thread any extra attention; there aren’t a lot of posts made here, which you could’ve easily seen if you checked the home or forum page before posting. And if there were other posts made, why don’t those post deserve to be seen? Next thing you know you everyone is only posting ‘bump’ in their thread to keep on top. It is an impatient, annoying and selfish thing to do.

You know another thing that is annoying? Making multiple posts right after each other. (And yes, a few minutes in between is right after each other.) Think first, then post.

Also interesting that it is not “code for ‘ It’s not impossible”, but you do say that “just don’t believe it’s truly that impossible”. You clearly have no knowledge of the matter, so perhaps you shouldn’t be making such judgements. Besides, I wasn’t talking about a link that doesn’t work after a while, I was talking about preventing multiple views and downloading etc. Making a link not work after a while is pretty damn easy, even with very basic programming skills.

I quoted you because that whole “top hackers wouldn’t be getting away” doesn’t seem to make any sense here. Is distributing links to videos that only work once a key part of being a top hacker? scratches head

Mugi [Mugiwara27]
8 years ago

+1 for dloser
It’s not that hard to make a website that let you visit it just once
Using some Google search, you could make some great things ! :)
Also, If I don’t reply in the next 5 minutes of the time I made my first answer, that means I’m not on Hackthis and thus, don’t spam :p

eserrano
8 years ago

May i ask why dose the video have to be so compromised ,i know its really none of my buisness to ask but im just wondering ?

_---x_
8 years ago

Ahhhhhh I can’t really say…

It involves me in the video…. But I want to prove a point so this girl, doesn’t think I Was jealous of her/going after her/starting on her + I wasn’t tying to steal her ex boyfriend?

I know,I know I should leave people too it but I think she would be so shocked she wouldn’t even screenshot it .

Mugi [Mugiwara27]
8 years ago

Oh, an idea come ta my mind !
What about making a skype call, then you do a screen share with her ? So you can show her the video and she won’t be able to access the whole video ? :)

eserrano
8 years ago

Yea thats a good idea but like i said before the person could reccord there screeen if she/he really wanted that video.

Mugi [Mugiwara27]
8 years ago

That’s true but average computer users do not know how to record a screen on their computer
So logically, they would try to record it using their phone.
To prevent this thing, just make a video call so you can see if she does such a thing
Now, it’s about boyfriend / girlfriend problems and _—x- said she would be so shocked she would not even try to screenshot
And thus, no problems ? right ? :)

Mr. Cyph3r [MrCyph3r]
8 years ago | edited 8 years ago

Oh now I see, that’s just ridiculous.

So, to add my opinion for people who are reading this thread and are interested on the subject, I’d say it’s impossible to do.
Forget about the audience because of course you can find novice internet users who doesn’t know how to download a video, but the point of the discussion is not the audience, it’s just the achievement.

It is as simple as that, it’s impossible. Period.
No matter how much you say it is possible and how much you say that 1(0)% of elite hackers can do that! and what’s the point anyway ?!?

More than that, it’s a shame to do this thing for such a purpose.

In my opinion, for a thing like this you can just copy the video on your phone and directly show it to that girl and you are done.

Mugi [Mugiwara27]
8 years ago

@MrCyph3r that’s true that the purpose is pretty ‘stupid’ ( do not start a spam about stupidity, please :‘( ) but it can conclude on a good coding idea !

Mr. Cyph3r [MrCyph3r]
8 years ago

Sorry man but I can’t agree this time. What’s the point of coding an impossible thing? Once something is online there is no way to keep it private or limited in this way.

Of course, as always, that’s just my opinion :)

Mugi [Mugiwara27]
8 years ago

I know that after posting something online, it’s not private anymore
But for an average user who don’t really know everything about internet, it could be really easy to make him think that something is private
That’s in fact what the OP is asking on this thread :)

_---x_
8 years ago

I seriously don’t believe it’s that impossible.
Things that were the holy grail of infomation technology ( as dloser said) 10 years ago are ( probably ) pretty much very easy to achieve today by the moot of hackers ( like myself ?)

If so, technology wouldn’t be improving, new ideas wouldn’t be carried out, Bill Gates wouldn’t exist. I believe the top ten elite hackers could be close to doing this.

It’s not so much about that screenshotting it, ( as it will be censored, ) I just rather she didn’t have a ‘ compact ’ copy of it ( compact isn’t really the word I’m looking for, but I don’t want her to have a solid copy that she could look like anytime she wants)

I didn’t say it wasn’t stupid ( I’ve said it’s stupid, I think previously) but the fact is this will shut her up ( seriously I don’t know why women are so crazy with their boyfriends) and trust me, she probably be in such a state of disconcerting, by the time the videos over shell realise she’s judged my ‘lies’ wrong.

I’ll loook into the oh4 thing. And thank you Muriwaga for your recent post, that is exactly what I’m asking for and for advice to achieve it ? As you know MrCyph3r, you don’t know the situation ( fully) so maybe if I actually explained in detail why you probably would understand a bit more about why I want to code a personal encrypted multimedia link??

Thanks for all the comments, put on a path in some sort of direction to achieve my goal , at least ?

crua9
8 years ago

First off, can you make an encrypted link to a video.
The short answer is yes. The long answer is you are basically just making a login to see the media. The better the logon, the harder it is to break it. And it is possible to make it where the video is encrypted.

Next, can you make it where the video deletes itself after it’s viewed one time
Again, the short answer is yes. The long answer is the person can just record it at best or download it at worst. Basically, they can use a screen capture device (like how I make my YouTube videos), or they can use their phone.
What’s even worst, you can have some hackers (state level) that can keep your server from knowing the thing was played in the first place.

(Keep in mind, you will have no idea if the person actually sees the video. So they will need to have the controls (like on YouTube), and then the server deletes the video after the user leaves the website. Or they will have to download it in something that deletes it off of their computer after they exit from it. But in both cases, you will have a near 100% that they could watch it, but at the same time it just made it that much easier to record it)

I don’t really give 2 craps about your reason.
As far as a game or something like this, then that would be kinda cool. If you’re doing something stupid and have a target on your back. Then there will be no point in this.

dloser
8 years ago

I seriously don’t believe it’s that impossible.
Things that were the holy grail of infomation technology ( as dloser said) 10 years ago are ( probably ) pretty much very easy to achieve today by the moot of hackers ( like myself ?)[/quote]

Yes, you keep saying that. It says more about you than anything else. The “( probably )” is key here; you just assume it is so because you don’t want to believe it is not so.

There are things that are fundamentally impossible. There are things that are not, but are still incredibly hard such that they are practically still impossible. It doesn’t really matter one bit whether you believe it or not.

[quote]If so, technology wouldn’t be improving, new ideas wouldn’t be carried out, Bill Gates wouldn’t exist. I believe the top ten elite hackers could be close to doing this.
This is what is called a non-sequitur. Nobody is saying there isn’t any improvement, but improvement doesn’t mean that everything is suddenly possible.

Also, who the hell gives a flying fuck what some crazy person says? Doesn’t sound like it is worth any effort at all.

_---x_
8 years ago

^ Ah, well that solves my problem then.
I do not care whether she screenshots it too much because it will be censored. I do not care too much either

“What’s even worst, you can have some hackers (state level) that can keep your server from knowing the thing was played in the first place.”

I don’t know what you mean by this.

I do not believe she’ll screenshot, shell be so dumbfounded shell just have to shut her mouth.

I don’t really give 2 craps whether you think this is stupid or not.
As I said before, I did not want to hear people’s opinions, whether they think it’s stupid ,‘ but ’ why?‘ And if I don’t know to do this, then there’s no point trying. Opinions aside, I just wanted my questions answered , is this possible or not

But thanks crua9, I will look into his, you have gave me the answer I was looking for. Much appreciated ?

dloser
8 years ago

rereads crua9’s post to find anything that wasn’t already said before

Mr. Cyph3r [MrCyph3r]
8 years ago

[quote=dloser]
>seriously don’t believe it’s that impossible.
Things that were the holy grail of infomation technology ( as dloser said) 10 years ago are ( probably ) pretty much very easy to achieve today by the moot of hackers ( like myself ?) [/quote]

Yes, you keep saying that. It says more about you than anything else. The “( probably )” is key here; you just assume it is so because you don’t want to believe it is not so.

There are things that are fundamentally impossible. There are things that are not, but are still incredibly hard such that they are practically still impossible. It doesn’t really matter one bit whether you believe it or not.

If so, technology wouldn’t be improving, new ideas wouldn’t be carried out, Bill Gates wouldn’t exist. I believe the top ten elite hackers could be close to doing this.

This is what is called a non-sequitur. Nobody is saying there isn’t any improvement, but improvement doesn’t mean that everything is suddenly possible.

Also, who the hell gives a flying fuck what some crazy person says? Doesn’t sound like it is worth any effort at all.

Oh great, well said @dloser. I would give you 10 +1 but only one is permitted :p

Mugi [Mugiwara27]
8 years ago

[quote=—x]
[quote=crua9]
What’s even worst, you can have some hackers (state level) that can keep your server from knowing the thing was played in the first place.
[/quote]
I don’t know what you mean by this.
[/quote]
He meant that if you make such a system that delete the video after viewing it, some peoples using piece of knowledge could play the video ‘secretly’, so the server won’t delete the video and you could replay/download/screenshot it as much as you want

crua9
8 years ago

@Mugiwara27
Pretty much. On top of that, if someone hacks into the server, they can just download the stuff.
On top of this, unless if it screws up the hard drive or wipes over it a few times. Cops and so on can simply use

@dloser
It’s more about how you say it :P

But seriously, what should’ve been enough is saying it’s possible but don’t do it.

Discussion thread has been locked. You can no longer add new posts.
1 of 44

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss