social autopsy

BlackBox [Ransetsu]
8 years ago

opinions? i think it’s hilariously naive. wonder if they will have their inputs sanitized…

9replies
4voices
241views
ERGY13
8 years ago

What is social autopsy ? I searched, but i didn’t find.

BlackBox [Ransetsu]
8 years ago

it’s supposed to be an anti online bully thing that is probably just going to turn into a dox resource. meant to expose people.

ERGY13
8 years ago | edited 8 years ago

This is the policy “Look everyone’s life, there is some fools in the world.” ?
Right ?

Numlock90
8 years ago

I believe he is referring to https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1968200734/wave-goodbye-to-cyberbullies-and-trolls-socialauto

looks pretty naive I agree,

Don’t really understand how it is going to work are they going to scrape social network sites for offensive comments?
(also seems pretty sexist they only have picture’s of women and talk about women tech startups)

Also “We will devote all remaining funds toward our legal team, which we are going to need intact when we bring this site live.”

I don’t know how much they think legal battles cost but if they plan a lot of them the $75,000 they’re requesting wont get them through many, after paying for staff and kit.

It will prob end up documenting a few cases of “cyber-bullying” and then drop off the face of the earth.

As for them “saving the virtual world” GTFO My Internetz.

“But we thought, "instead of trying to stop it, why don’t we try to capture it?”. "

Oh great so we can create another platform where we can read shit comments that noone cares about,

Also

“Important to note: We do not allow any commenting on our site because we do not want to host a platform for any bullying ourselves. Our database also cannot be searched by keyword (i.e, homophobia, racism, etc) which means a self-proclaimed vigilante would be unable to round up a specified group of online offenders.”

Because it would be so difficult to create a search tool for your site that looks for key words e.g homophobia racism etc.

Anyway that’s enough of my ranting.

Doomed project is doomed.

BlackBox [Ransetsu]
8 years ago

it is going to rely on “anonymous” user submitted screen shots for the comments. not sure if they know u can just edit html in page? not going to crawl social media. they encourage phone numbers, home addresses, info on place of work. they basically want these people to be under increased threat of real world consequences – like losing your job or friends.

ERGY13
8 years ago

There is a good background idea, make the web safer for protecting the children. But internet is hostile. Bully on Facebook, is just like bully in the school yard. But everyone can see it. The project can’t work. There is too much trolls. Trolls are everywhere.

Numlock90
8 years ago

Wouldn’t be surprised if it did take off that that /b/ would troll the fuck out of them.
Also they will face the threat of defamation if someone has edited the page.

Also they do realise Doxxing is illegal?

“There are federal and state laws that specifically address doxing government employees. With regular citizens, doxing falls under various state criminal laws, such as stalking, cyberstalking, harassment, threats, and other such laws, depending on the state. ”

Source : http://patch.com/massachusetts/malden/what-is-doxing-yes-it-is-illegal

Sounds a lot like cyberstalking, harassment and at the very least they are increasing the chance of getting real world threats like @Ransetsu says.

cn9 [1337boy]
8 years ago

Funding Suspended

Funding for this project was suspended by Kickstarter 4 days ago.

ERGY13
8 years ago

It reminds me of “person of interest”. Choose between the security or privacy. Except that having an absolute privacy and absolute security is impossible.

Funding Suspended. It think this is better like this.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 10

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss