Need Help With The Very Beginning :(

Missile codes

Orestis Usultzoglu [akanefortyfour]
7 years ago | edited 7 years ago

READ FIRST
I’ve solved the level, or at least figured out how to (no time g2g,) but for some reason i can’t mark the post as closed, apologize for the inconvinience.
Greetings, after applying some common sense i came pretty fast down to the conclusion that I need to somehow extract data . Yes, I google'dA LOT. I read much, much stuff about data extraction, different kinds of it, the structure of img files, of iso files and so on. I then tried to figure out a way to extract the data without actually mounting the .img. Here’s what I tried:
[list]
[] WinRAR & WinZip
MANY linux commands (im using Kali) & packets downloaded
[/list]
Then I thought, well let’s find how this was corrupted. I figured out that by using the FTP protocol in text mode but for a non-text file (such as an img) would match our case. That is, because in txt mode FTP allows for the translation of line endings, so when downloading from whatever Unix to Windows, every 0x0a is replaced with 0x0d 0x0a. So i actually replaced all of the latter with the former and then tried to actually find which 0x0a had been modified and which not. No luck at all. I then tried:
[list]
[
] RAR repair tool
ISObuster
the wget command
utorrent & bittorrent ( iknow these two steps are kinda stupid but i was hopeless)
[/list]

Please, either PM me or give me something to work on, or at least link me to a useful article or w/e.
Much appreciated,

pinkfluffyunicorn16(A.K.A akanefortyfour)  

P.S. Sorry for the extremely poor format, could have used uls and so on but im sooo tired :(

11replies
3voices
355views
? [bolofecal]
7 years ago

You must stop to try many random things and try recognize this kind of file.

I am slightly converged into considering you reply offensive. In simple words: random bro? seriously? random?…
Anyways, as I already mentioned, I’ve already did my homework about .img file structure.

P.S. Thanks for the reply :)
P.S.2 But seriously man, I mean all of us hate script kiddies and yes, Google is almost always the answer in this kind of stuff but you’re overextending sir :)

? [bolofecal]
7 years ago

Sorry if it looks like offensive this is not my purpose, my english is not so good, what I want say is try recognize the kind of file and the way to complete this will be more clear.

No offense at all, it’s just that im tired :D So, perhaps it is not an .img file after all? On it, sir :)

? [bolofecal]
7 years ago

In unix system exists a good command to recognize the type of data contained in a file, if you know what is you can figure out the way.

OK, I found it, thank you for directing me :)

I cannot close the post tho..

? [bolofecal]
7 years ago

You’re welcome.

1) Search of “Data carving” instead of “Data recovery” or so.
2) See what you are dealing with (as said by bolofecal above, big hint)
3) Good luck :)

Is it possible for me to PM you? I have to ask something to know if I’m on the right track and don’t want to spoil :)

sure, akanefortyfour :)

Discussion thread has been locked. You can no longer add new posts.
1 of 12

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss