Windows 8... Thoughts?

[deleted user]
10 years ago | edited 10 years ago

I’d like to know what you think of Windows 8. I haven’t used it yet but I don’t think I want to either.

I just realized I’ve posted this in the wrong section, apologies.

15replies
9voices
236views
rich_007

Windows-8 provdies greater security than any of it’s operating system till now. There are number of advantages of using Win-8; ::-::
The safety is the main concern for any operating system the windows 8 makes best of security ever.The authentication method of the windows is provided by two ways by PIN and picture passwords.
The windows defender and also the smart screen filtering makes windows 8 operating system to run without antivirus from the third vendors and booting is also secured.
Parental control is same and inbuilt with software which can be customized by the administrator which provides a much more user friendly environment.
We can customise the desktop the way we want and i think this is the best feature microsoft had provided.
Regarding Applications.
For developer windows 8 is great platform the windows APIs supports the following programming languages such C,C++,C#,.NET,Visual Basic along with HTML,HTML 5 and JavaScript.
There are number of Apps available as well in the windows App store which can be downloaded for free.
No comments regarding IE9 but still it is improvised :P
Other disadvantages of windows 8:
1- There are number of Apps which you won’t be able to run on windows 8.
(I presonally hated when i was not able to play number of games on windows 8 .)
2- It requires a large part of you RAM which further puts a unneccesary load over your system because of it’s graphics and other features.
//
To be precise : Windows Store app APIs that are expressed as HTML or XAML elements are supported only in Windows Store apps, and are not supported in desktop apps or browsers.
//

At last i personally recommend to atleast work with it once as it is lot of FUN
As it’s just released in market it’s having a number of flaws , but as the updates will come in market , We can hope that it will get Better.

cheers….../…..

Eric [iluvz2sp00ge]
10 years ago

I’ve not used it on my personal machines, however I have used it on many of my clients machines and I must say that it is best used by general users for experts windows 7 is much better… Win 8 is best used on touch screen devices, I personally hate the new start menu layout and when ever I use win 8 I install the classic shell. I might in the near future upgrade only because I don’t want fall behind the times, but will probably still keep windows 7 maybe on a separate machine or possibly try dual boot (but I hear there is some issues with dual booting) The guys at work also hate windows 8 even to the extent of down grading new laptops to win 7 because issues with software and web browsers namely Google chrome ;)

Pinkponyprincess
10 years ago

They like to say that windows 8 is safer , but seems to me that it doesn’t do anything my antivirus and firewall wasn’t doing already. I think windows 8 is the new Vista, everyone just preferred XP when vista came out, and windows 7 was the “global upgrade”, i think Microsoft will bring out a decent operating system , like windows 9. As for the GUI , yes it is sleek, yes it pretty, but i don’t like it, ill stick with windows 7 and Linux distro’s.

[deleted user]

Well I don’t like touch screen devices. Fair do’s that 8 has the best security, I’m just not into these modern devices, apps or operating systems, I prefer the older technology. Call me boring but I’m happy lol.

lemon [lemon42]
10 years ago

Windows 8…. hmm.

Well frankly, Windows 8 isn’t all that bad. People think it is made for touch, but that’s only partly true. It’s optimized in some way for touch (e.g. Metro interface) however it works just as well with a mouse. The idea that Windows 8 is only made for touch computers is a myth.

I’ve been using it for a few months and so far I haven’t had any negative experiences with it. One thing to note is that if you’re one of those that over-obsess over the missing Start button then you’re probably not gonna like it.

The good

The first thing that comes to mind is the look: they follow a completely different approach and show information with simple squares and getting rid of most shadows and other rounded corners; I really like this. They try to save some taskbar space by removing the Start button which is good in my opinion. The usability remains similar to Windows 8, and using the computer on a whole is a lot faster. Computers also boot up much faster with Windows 8 than Windows 7: my ultrabook cold-boots in a breeze. The SSD could be a major factor here, but I can definitely say it boots faster than with Windows 7 on it. One thing I do like is the quick search with Win + F, allows me to get to things pretty easily. The computer is also much more usable with the keyboard only, with new shortcuts allowing for faster manipulation. Allows me to get away from my mouse more.

The bad

The bad about Windows 8 is less significant, but there are some things that I believe should be brought up. First of all, the windows. Oh god, those are just annoying me. The problem with the windows is that they have these huge 8 pixel wide borders that just take up a huge amount of space, especially on smaller resolutions.

I couldn’t really find any other significant problems other than that, but really, it’s a matter of personal taste.

My verdict

The mixed reviews made me hesitate at first… decided to go for it. I’m not disappointed. My computer works, and so far, no blue screens! Props to Microsoft for finally making an OS that doesn’t start crashing after the first few months. I must say I really like it’s minimalist design and intuitiveness. I’d definitely recommend it for regular users. If you happen to be one of those few people who bought touch computers or a tablet, then I think an update would come in handy.

Pretty good, I’m quite surprised… liking it so far.

If you’re unsure, best bet is to grab an ISO and put it on a virtual machine. Get a feel for it, and decide on your own.

On a side note though, I’m starting to move away from Windows at an ever-increasing rate. Currently using Debian on another older computer. If you’re looking for really good boot speeds, then go that route, definitely faster than any of my previous Windows installations, even on my older PC that isn’t equipped with a fancy SSD or anything.

prabhu [prabhujegan]
10 years ago

windows 8.1 is very fast and takes less memory and processors comparing to 8 OSM try that :) u would be surprised

[deleted user]
10 years ago

Nobody beats Linux. Not even windows 8.

Honey Boo Boo [Ski900]
10 years ago

I wasn’t a fan of Windows 8 at first. At that time, I was dual-booted with Ubuntu 12.04LTS and spent most of my time on Windows 8 because I love to play games (which Linux is not designed for) and my programming classes are in C# (did not care to install mono plug-in so I could run on Linux). On one of my updates I had a serious fault during the install. Even after I reinstalled the update, I was still having issues with Win8 talking to the hardware, and in turn started getting a lot of BSOD’s. This is when I started really loving Win 8. I had to reinstall Win 8, and Microsoft actually makes the process extremely easy. They give you a few different easy options as to how to approach the situation.

Once I reinstalled Win 8, I upgraded to Win 8.1. I am not a fan of the new tablet style home screen, but that’s something I can get over. I have had no issues with 8.1 so far. I would also like to see an IDE that can compare to Visual Studio. I have used a good amount and none have even come close to VS. I’m not saying they aren’t out there, I am just saying I have not used one that compares, nor have I met someone who thinks that there are other IDE’s out there which compare to VS. (Would love to hear inputs on other peoples experiences with IDE’s other than VS)

I am not trying to be a hacker or pentester. I am more interested in the programming aspect of everything. Windows 8.1 definitely has its downfalls, but those downfalls are not enough for me to switch to a Linux distro. I rate Windows 8.1 an 8/10, and Windows 8 a 6/10.

Should be sacrificed to satan and burn in hell for all of eternity….

[deleted user]
10 years ago

Hi ski900,

Who said Linux is not designed for games. Just because the games are not build for Linux doesn’t mean that you can’t play games in Linux.

Honey Boo Boo [Ski900]
10 years ago

I never said you couldn’t play games on Linux, but you can’t tell me that you can play the same games that you can on Windows. It’s a night and day difference.

[deleted user]
10 years ago

Ski900,

Neither did I every said that games can’t be played on Linux. I used exactly the same sentence which you have used in your post. “Linux is not designed for games” and to answer your question. We could play the games on linux too which are build for Windows if its designed for Linux too.

Honey Boo Boo [Ski900]
10 years ago

I think this is more semantics at this point. So you can play the new Batman right now on a Linux Distro? I can’t see how playing games was even a tertiary thought when creating a Linux Distro.

Pawda [Memoria]
10 years ago

I just would add to this, Valve has announced they were going to make Linux a real gaming platform.

Honey Boo Boo [Ski900]
10 years ago

Haha, I know! I just saw that they are releasing Metro Last Light on Linux. It’s a step in the right direction.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 16

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss