How to catch a scammer...

x2600
6 years ago

So recent events in my life have made me wonder. What would other people do here if they knew someone was trying to scam them. I recently found a habitual scammer in the real estate market. The guy poses as someone who is renting their house from afar, asks for a deposit to have the keys mailed, and corresponds via text and email.

How would you handle this? I’d like to share my story, but for the sake of wanting unbiased opinions, I’d like to get the thoughts of others on the matter first.

So what would you do?

6replies
5voices
215views
SIGKILL [r4v463]
6 years ago | edited 6 years ago

In my country, this would be an infraction to the law, so if I see him doing that, as a citizen I have the right to detain him until the cops come to arrest him. (article 73 of the French “Code de procure pale”). If he’s not in front of me, just signal him to the cops.

And btw, in France it’s even a duty to prevent someone to commit a crime if it doesn’t put you or someone else in a dangerous situation.

x2600
6 years ago

@r4v463 Very interesting. We have citizen’s arrest here, but the guy wasn’t in front of me. I’ll post the story tomorrow when I get some time. Personally, I won’t get intervene in a situation where the person isn’t hurting anyone else. In this particular instance, the guy was attempting to scam me, which made it personal.

x2600
6 years ago

What happened:****

I was searching for a house to rent online, when I came across a very reasonably priced house that was recently remodeled. The house had everything I wanted, and was in the best location with regard to my needs. The advertisement for the house went up that morning, so I figured I was ahead of the game by calling the cellphone number.

I called twice, but no one answered. I received a text message back a few minutes later asking for my email, so that the rental agent could send more information about the home. I sent over my email address via text and received information a few minutes later.

The email stated that the person renting the home was living in another city, far away from the rental home. The lady who was renting stated in the email that if I were interested that if I send a money order, that I would receive the key in the mail to check the place out. At this point, I suspected that the whole thing was a scam. But… I had to be sure.

[b]How to catch a scammer:[/b
As I said, I had to be sure. So my texting dialog went something like this

Me: When will you be available to speak with on the phone? I have a few more questions.
Lady: I am busy right now, but you’re welcome to send your questions via text.
Me: Do you allow dogs? And if so, do you charge for having pets?
Lady: Yes I allow them, but I don’t charge. (This is not likely to ever happen)
Me: Do you accept paypal?
Lady: No, I only accept western union. What is the address you want me to send the keys to?
Me: Well right now I’m on holiday in bora-bora, so I won’t be able to get the money to you via western union. Gives fake address
Lady: When will you be back?
Me: Two weeks from now

At this point I am deciding what I want to do with this scammer. I noticed that they had taken their advertisement down during our conversation. I asked why the advertisement wasn’t up anymore, and they said that they’d received enough interest to take it down. This was also a red flag. So I decided then… it came down to two options. I was either going to eat their home network alive, or scare the crap out of them.

After some thought, I decided to go with just scaring them, ruling out the potential to goto prison for illegal activity. lol. Anyways, so I setup a link to capture their information and texted them back with it. I said “Oh hey, I found the listing again for your house.” And not 30 seconds later they clicked on the link on their phone. Now I had information from a pc on their network, and their cellphone carrier information. I guess they decided to check on both systems. Well… with some digging, I found out their location, and continued the dialog:

Me: So how’s the weather in Abuja?
Lady: What’s that?
Me: You know… Nigeria.
Lady: I’m from (insert state)
Me: Oh? What city?

Me: I wonder what the NIA would think about this conversation.

Me: Or maybe the SSS

//// THE END

So I’m not usually the type to interfere with the actions of other people, but this guy needs to keep his shit off the web. Yeah, I could have turned him in, but authorities in his country don’t typically give second chances. Instead I opted for a bit of karma… he fucked with me, so I fucked with him.

What do you guys think? Did i go overboard?

Mugi [Mugiwara27]
6 years ago

You did good, really good :)
Depending on my mood, I wouldn’t have been that lenient with these type of people tho

People should learn from experiences like this!

Goulmy
6 years ago

It’s nice to see some real application of what we learn here, even though it was minor.

x2600
6 years ago

@Goulmy yeah, probably the first time I’ve ever felt compelled to do anything.

Reply has been removed
Discussion thread has been locked. You can no longer add new posts.
1 of 7

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss