Anti-Spam Software

f0rk [HackingGuy]
5 years ago

Hey guys! So there has been a lot of trouble lately with users botting the site to post spam. I figured I’d make an appropriate forum page where we can discuss this problem and possible solutions.

Thanks!

22replies
8voices
293views
dimooz
5 years ago | edited 5 years ago

I suggest the old russian method, that consists in visiting each spammer at home and burn all his family members with a napalm thrower just in front of him, as an example for the next one who’d like to spam over here. I suppose that could work to prevent new spammer vocations.

Or maybe an anti-spam software could do the job instead, I don’t know.

SilentKiller44
5 years ago

Just delete their accounts.

Psyberion

I think that if the trend continues it’s going to get quite tedious quite fast to manually delete all spam accounts. In my opinion some kind of anti-spam protection might be a better idea.

One thing to consider is how the spam is posted. If it’s posted automatically a fairly easy solution that might decrease the amount is to simply put a captcha in the account creation process.

dimooz
5 years ago

… a captcha in the account creation process, and maybe also a captcha for each post in the forum, as long as the account has not been verified yet.

Psyberion
5 years ago

Yea, I think that’d do it for the most part. I haven’t set up captcha myself, but I’d imagine that it’s quite easy to embed readily available solutions, and that they’d be quite low maintenance as well.

dimooz

I made my own captcha for other purposes, I could provide source code if needed (?) …

Btw, @Psyberion, your signature is awesome!

Darwin [DIDIx13]
5 years ago

Maybe @flabbyrabbit is already working on fixing this?

Mugi [Mugiwara27]
5 years ago

I can’t really do a thing to them, I don’t have enough rights to ban people from posting in the forum, but let’s wait for a flabby idea :)

Darwin [DIDIx13]
5 years ago

@dimooz @Psyberion

Can you still hear the C if you bash it?

Psyberion
5 years ago

@dimooz Haha, thanks! I wish I could tale credit for it, but I found the quote online

@DIDIx13 Haha, nice! Of course you can! :D

Smyler [WHGhost]

A solution would be to hide threads when their first post gets hidden because of negative karma.

Darwin [DIDIx13]
5 years ago

+1 for the @WHGhost proposition.

Psyberion
5 years ago

Yea, that’s actually a really neat idea!

f0rk [HackingGuy]
5 years ago

All of these are wonderful ideas :)

The next step would be @flabbyrabbit making @Mugiwara27 an admin or equivalent to deal with these issues.

Thank you all for contributing!

Psyberion
5 years ago

Come to think of it, all of the code for this site is on Github, right? So we should be able to e.g. implement hiding a thread when the top comment is hidden and submit a pull request. I mean, there’s even a medal for getting a pull request accepted.

Smyler [WHGhost]
5 years ago

Yes, I was thinking about doing it, but I don’t have time, so go ahead and do it if you want. It shouldn’t be too complicated in itself, but maybe we need to have an other way to find thread if it is not shown on the forum because of negative karma, to avoid abuses as it would be possible to create a thread, spam it and then hide it yourself. You could do that to get some forum medals. And moderators should get alerted when that happends.

dimooz
5 years ago

Good idea @Psyberiion, but if you have a look to the GitHub you can see that there are already many pull requests that are waiting to be validated for a while now. Not sure that @flabbyrabbit have enough time to handle all of these one day. Maybe @Mugiwara could do the job instead, but not sure he has enough rights to do it at the moment.

Mugi [Mugiwara27]
5 years ago

I would already have done it, but I don’t have enough rights at the moment, the only thing we can do about this is making pull requests and talking about it to flabby

Reply has been removed
Smyler [WHGhost]
5 years ago

It is fine most of the time, but there are often huge waves of very annoying spam making the forum quiet unusable.

Hotaros [marco-D-badass]

WHGhost
Did you mean HackThis ?
This annoying messages never happened to me, they issued from who?

Smyler [WHGhost]
5 years ago

Yes, random people often come and spam the HackThis!! forum, that’s why this thread was created.

Oh I did not know :O . this thanks for the information :) WHGhost

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 23

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss