crypt challenge :)

it’s 1836 and Samuel F.B.Morse needs to send a message in his Christmas card, so he includes this piece of music with a encryption and encoded message. can you figure out what it is?

credit goes to
https://cybersecuritychallenge.org.uk/virtuals.php?utm_source=20131218+Christmas+Cipher+Campaign+&utm_campaign=Masterclass+attendance&utm_medium=email
just thought i would post it here

16replies
5voices
339views
1image
Cyan Wind [freewind1012]
10 years ago | edited 10 years ago

Thanks @zLKidda . I will take a look. If it makes me feel interested, I will try to spend a bit time. :p

Reply has been removed
Susan S [Trinity]

Where should I put the answer I have?? Didn’t take too long to work out but enjoyed the challange. It took me about ten minutes. I have saved the answer on my website and you can see it. But if you don’t want the answer then don’t click on my link.
LINK HERE

Cyan Wind [freewind1012]

@Trinity: Just send your answer to this email: competitions@cybersecuritychallenge.org.uk. More info.

Susan S [Trinity]

Okay Freewind1012 thanks will do!
The competition email is:
competitions@cybersecuritychallenge.org.uk

Cyan Wind [freewind1012]

@Trinity: I have just figured out: This crypt is just a start-up welcome. There’s another 5-parts challenge. Read Christmas Cipher Challenge - 2013 for more info. Btw, you have decrypted a bit wrong. :p

@Keeper: Hope you like this challenge.

Keeper
10 years ago

[quote=freewind1012]Keeper: Hope you like this challenge.[/quote]

They are really quite basic.. If flabby gets the new levels I suggested running, you’ll see what I’m talking about.

[quote=Keeper]If flabby gets the new levels I suggested running, you’ll see what I’m talking about.[/quote]
Fine. I will wait for it. ;)

stevericks
10 years ago

Can anybody point me in the right direction of where to start with this? I don’t want the answer, I just want a nudge in the right direction. I stumbled on the challenge over Christmas and thought I would have a go. Now its driving me mad.

Pathetic I know.

Any help appreciated

Cyan Wind [freewind1012]

@stevericks: Wut? Did you join HackThis!! for this challenge? Whatever. Read the description of that encrypted music piece.

stevericks

Still none the wiser…I registered cos its the only place I found discussing the challenge. I need some help in knowing where to start and what tools I may need. Brain etc…

Cyan Wind [freewind1012]

Do you need to discuss about challenges or just this challenge in particular (Christmas Cipher Challenge - 2013)? I think that you need a bit of common sense to solve that encrypted music piece. Read its description and google what / who you haven’t known yet.

stevericks

Obviously I know who Morse is., and presumably I have to convert something to morse, the music notes? Am I in the right area? I work in IT and look after security among other things. I am looking at getting a bit more involved in the security side and as such did a bit of googling and came upon this. I thought “that cant be too difficult”, I was wrong. And whats even worse is that I find a forum where people say they did it in 10 mins. I want to do the whole challenge, not sure if Im up to it, but if it takes me a year, so what!

Thanks for your help..

Steve.

@stevericks: Yeah, you are in the right way. Now it’s time for trial & error. :p

stevericks
10 years ago

Freewind,

I can figure out the one on this forum, I finally get it. But its different from the one on the actual site. The one on the site makes no sense. Am I wrong?

Cyan Wind [freewind1012]

@stevericks: I know what you mean. There are 2 music pieces: One for fun (click the family photo to view/download) and one for challenge (click the snowman to view/download). As you can see, there are 5 challenges in this contest.

stevericks
10 years ago

ahhh. that’s how good I am, I didn’t even spot that. Well with your help I have managed to understand the one for fun, so onwards and upwards.

Thanks,

Steve.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 17

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss