How @n lost his $50,000 Twitter handle

Luke [flabbyrabbit]
10 years ago | edited 10 years ago

An interesting tale of social engineering and how it is still a major attack vector even after recent high profile media coverage.

My $50,000 Twitter Username Was Stolen Thanks to PayPal and GoDaddy

I had a rare Twitter username, @N. Yep, just one letter. Ive been offered as much as $50,000 for it. People have tried to steal it. Password reset instructions are a regular sight in my email inbox. As of today, I no longer control @N. I was extorted into giving it up.

Read more: https://medium.com/p/24eb09e026dd

10replies
5voices
244views
[deleted user]
10 years ago

Thanks for this post flabbyrabbit. What a nightmare. I will be contacting paypal in the morning for sure. Just goes to show how easy it is in some respects to get into someones account. PayPal want stuffing for that and GoDaddy are just idiots for allowing it. Glad I’m not with them but PayPal will be contacted tomorrow. Thanks again. :)

Fireshard
10 years ago

I…I…This is insane!

You’d expect PayPal to be masters of security, considering how they work with people’s money! It’s outrageous and I am now glad I’m not using it at all. I am shocked!

Thanks, flabby! Good post!

Cyan Wind [freewind1012]

A thrilling story. ;)

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

What a great loss! :o
But who would spend 50000 bucks on a username?

@IAmDevil: A lot. Just like domain names.

[deleted user]

Hey IAmDevil, I once made enquiries about a number plate: B 1 M B O for my car, it was the name of my cat and the wife thought it would be cool. I thought it would be stupid but what can you do when her indoors want’s her indoors gets. NOT IN THIS CASE, I told her to get lost! The cost for the number plate B 1 M B O 58,000 and hell, for the plate 8 I M B O they want 29,995 so his $50000 in pounds sterling is only a mere 30,676.75. Not so bad! lol :)

Fireshard
10 years ago

58,000 for a custom license plate? WTF are they making it out of, mithril?

I hope that license plate had diamonds on it. But yeah, just letters and numbers.

[deleted user]
10 years ago

I know it is just CRAZY!! There must and should be a limit to the cost of these plates but I guess that’s what you pay if you have money burning a great big hole in your pocket and you have more money than sense?? ;)

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Haha ,yes there is a stupid trend all over the world for license plate numbers !!
I too wanted one for my ride but then later realized that it is just a waste of money. ?
Later bought a custom rig of it which was worth it !!!
?

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 11

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss