A suggestion for clearing the language barriers!

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Hey guys,
As we see that there are a lot of people who need help or guidance for a particular level or topic. And as we all know the HT! community is always ready for help. But a problem often seems to creep in, yes ya’ll are right! The language.
So to clear things up here’s a simple idea. A particular section on a user’s profile should be present which will show what all languages he knows or languages which he/she can interprete in. So for example: if a French speaking guy needs help for a particular level he can check out for users which speak french and decide with whom he/she can talk with! I think this will have the necessary impact on the forums and will make giving answers easier without using GoogleTranslate! ?
Guys feel free to post in all your view and hope ya’ll have a great Sunday. ?

51replies
11voices
692views
Cyan Wind [freewind1012]
10 years ago | edited 10 years ago

It even becomes better if the languages are displayed on the left column (<<< with the profile) of a post. When you arrive to the forum, you need to know which languages someone fluently speaks and voil a flag icon is waiting there.

[deleted user]
10 years ago

Great Ideas for both posts above, and I guess @flabbyrabbit can easily add a “Write your speaking languages” button on the to-do list :)

Nighttshad3
10 years ago

That’s a great idea from both of you. It would probably clear up the confusion in the forums in the process.

Mystery [kapuccino]
10 years ago

I like your ideas. It’s easy to find some buddies who loves hacking from your country too. <3

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Haha yes @freewind1012 nice addition there!
Now its @flabbyrabbit ’s choice weather he adds the feature or not! ?

Luke [flabbyrabbit]
10 years ago

Nice ideas, @freewind1012’s idea of showing spoken language in the left column is a great one! I will certainly look into this.

As a side note there is already work being done to make the site as a whole more friendly for non-english speaking users, as they make up a large percentage of our members. These suggestions will certainly help towards this.

kamzhik
10 years ago

All the problem stands in the forum and the articles where english is used. After all, there is no french version for html. However, the idea seems nice. Looking forward to it.

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Haha ideas flying hither and thither! Hope the feature gets implemented soon! ?
And btw love the “Online users” addition. ?

Nighttshad3
10 years ago

Yeah just noticed that, it’s nice addition to the side :)

Abhi

Yeah…looks pretty cool too…. @roun512 had been working on this from sometime . :)
Congrats buddy :)

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

So guys should I close this thread or anyone else wants to throw in some more ideas?
I’ll keep it open for a couple more days. ?

Nighttshad3
10 years ago

Hmm.. you could possibly have a language section in the forum for discussion on the levels or what not, just for non english speaking users who need help on things?

[IAmDevil]

Or we can just have a Language Translation feature besides the Flag post button. Like if a post is in German then a dropdown menu to select which language the user wants to see the post in. Just click and instantly convert the post in the desired language. ?

Statey
10 years ago

enigmagroup.org has got mentoring. something like this might help either.

Nighttshad3
10 years ago

@IAmDevil actually that could work really well if done properly.

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Ya i don’t know. It just clicked me! Hope this might be a good idea! And also may be a project or a monthly challenge or something!
What do you think @flabbyrabbit ?

Cyan Wind [freewind1012]

I vote for the idea of the multi-languages HackThis!! but please don’t be Google Translate or any automated translator. :/

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Naa @freewind1012 . Just an idea to ease up the translation process. But the first one’s the best!

I Like these ideas…..

[deleted user]
10 years ago

I like @freewind1012 idea of having multi language. Although having an inbuilt translator feature in the forum will be also good.

Abhi
10 years ago

What I think is that the second idea of having an in built translator , cause then anyone can reply to the queries posted by someone in a different language !!

Mystery [kapuccino]

A built-in translator? Wow, I don’t know about website developing much but it certainly needs a huge database of words and grammar, doesn’t it?

[deleted user]
10 years ago

<meta name="google-translate-customization" content="446edc89d715c2fa-e0e9aa82b29b5f43-gd433af869d682ff2-12"></meta>

<div id="google_translate_element"></div><script type="text/javascript"> function googleTranslateElementInit() { new google.translate.TranslateElement({pageLanguage: 'en', includedLanguages: 'ar,de,es,fr,zh-CN,zh-TW', layout: google.translate.TranslateElement.InlineLayout.SIMPLE}, 'google_translate_element'); } </script><script type="text/javascript" src="//translate.google.com/translate_a/element.js?cb=googleTranslateElementInit"></script>

[deleted user]
10 years ago

The above code works. I’ve just tested it with a normal html page which I created and used the translator to translate the page in different language. Is there a way that this can be implemented in HT!!.

Reply has been removed
Nighttshad3
10 years ago

The other thing we could do is make the whole page translate to different languages by having a language button implemented somewhere in the site? Rather than just the forums and posts just translate the whole site.

[deleted user]

The post I put up is a button that will change it all. But don’t forget, HTML is written in English.
P.S. Before you try to use it on your local machine in a html program you have written, it won’t work as it will only work on online websites. Okay? Here check it out on my websites forum see what you think: MyGovan Forum

Nighttshad3
10 years ago

Nice work @ANONRA, if the button was integrated into the site it could work well.

[deleted user]

Thank you nighttshad3 kind of you to say so! :)
Right I’m off to bed, work in the morning. Night all!! :)

Nighttshad3

Anytime :) Do you think we could make our own ht version possibly though? That way we can use our own button that suits the site a lot more. What do you guys think?

And night @ANONRA

Reply has been removed
Abhi
10 years ago

Hey guys…..the question regarding the translation is that what are we focusing upon….I mean what do we have in mind….the translation of the whole site or just the translation of the posts ??

[deleted user]
10 years ago

I think the translation of the whole website would be much better.

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Naa we don’t really require the whole site translated. Just the posts will do the job! ?

Statey
10 years ago

for what i need translated posts when i dont understand the website? vice versa why do i need translated posts when i understand the website. when i understand the website im able to understand english so i can understand the posts. or not?

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Hmm….. Its got me thinking! ?
As far as i understood the post you mean to say “ Umm what?”

Fireshard
10 years ago

I think the part with the flags next to the user data in the forum is a great idea. Also, a built-in translator might help. But i suppose mentoring is a bit more efficient, assuming people have the time to reply

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Ahh yes @Fireshard . Maybe we should keep a poll or something to give votes to the best feature and hence will be implemented. ?

Statey
10 years ago

Okay i try to explain it :D

if i can understand english i can understand the website and the posts (as you talked about only translating the posts)

if i cant understand english i cant understand the website and the posts. if you now only translate the posts, somebody will understand the posts but not the website. i was now asking why should somebody be interested in understanding the posts but not the website?

better to understand?

[IAmDevil]

Yes a lot better @Statey . We were talking about converting the languages. But in order to understand the site and the post one has to understand the language first!
And if someone visits this website i think he probably knows exactly what he’s interested in.

Statey
10 years ago

so from foreign to english?

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Yes, as a major portion of Hackthis users are foreign language speakers.

Cyan Wind [freewind1012]

Why do we need a built-in translator in website when we already have a built-in translator in browser?

Mentoring is more personal and it should be more effective. Say, if a French guy arrives to HackThis!! and he has a question about User Agent, then he should look for an active user with a French flag icon.

Abhi
10 years ago

But…what I think is that the main problem we face is to understand foreign language in which someone who doesn’t know english posts his problem….and so our attempt should be to help ourself to understand the guy with the problem and him , to understand our language…..and so , I guess , a in built posts translator is apt for the scene !! :)

Nighttshad3
10 years ago

@IAmDevil I think we should convert the whole site rather than just the posts. 2 reasons for this, 1 because its easier and 2 because its more effective to do the whole site than just the posts as there’s not really a point if they cant navigate to the posts in the first place.

@freewind1012 we could still do the mentoring idea as well. Honestly I think they could both work.

Also keep in mind translating the site will include the forum posts, also we could make it that people can write posts in there native language and people can read it in there native language without having to press buttons all the time. Just have a built in feature that translates any bit of foreign language into your native language such as English. If that makes sense…

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Yeah as i said a poll will definitely clarify things! It will also tell us what all the Hackthis community wants. ?

Nighttshad3
10 years ago

Yeah sounds good, can it have a mixed option at all?

Luke [flabbyrabbit]
10 years ago

There are two problems as I see it, firstly is foreign language users coming to the site and being put of due to it not being in their language. This would be solved by translating the entire core site e.g. everything but the forums and comments. I don’t think it should be possible for the forum posts to be translated as this would encourage users to post in foreign languages.

The second problem is foreign speaking users posting in the forum and having their posts deleted and spammed but English users telling them to post in English. I believe that these posts should be allowed but limited to one language per thread e.g. a thread will be marked as French and only French posts should be allowed. This keeps both the forum clean while allowing everyone to live happily together. These forum threads will be filtered based on a members language preferences. Each user will set which languages they can speak and the forum will filter out all other content.

In summary, the site will be translated manually into as many languages as we can find members willing to help. Secondly forum threads can be non-English but limited to one language per thread and marked as that language.

Nighttshad3
10 years ago

Actually that’s a good point, I think having the second problems solution would probably work well enough on its own. I’m going to be assuming that’s what you were saying is going to happen anyway, but either way its a great idea.

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Ahh @flabbyrabbit gave one solution for many questions! ? Hope to see the new feature soon.

Luke [flabbyrabbit]
10 years ago

It is something I have been thinking about for a little while. Whenever I see a non-English post and have to delete it I feel there should be a better solution that just ignoring half the user base.

I have spoken to a couple of people already but I would like to take this opportunity to ask if anyone else would be interested in helping translate the site. If so can you PM me what languages you could help with that would be awesome.

Fireshard
10 years ago

Unless there’s a deadline to this translation, I am will to help at my own pace. I’m gonna PM you now.

Still, the mentoring thing should still stick, i think.

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Ok guys as I said a couple of days and I closed this thread!

Discussion thread has been locked. You can no longer add new posts.
1 of 52

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss