Caution: Repeatitive threads.

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago | edited 10 years ago

Hey,
Ok it just clicked me. So I think there are problems with repeat threads! So I had an idea, there should be a caution or a reminder like thing which should be present at the top when we create any thread saying “Do you want to search the topic which you are about to create? You might get the answer needed!” And then there should be a click here link which will take you to the searched option of your related topic.

So what do you think guys? May be a nice idea. Pour all your ideas here. :)

22replies
9voices
290views
Hackay
10 years ago

As I said, very good idea ! There are too many posts for each Level and at the end, we’re lost.

???Roun512 [roun512]
10 years ago

Hey,

I don’t really think it’s needed :), i mean there is a search at the top of the page and the user only have to write Main 1, Main 2 etc..

As for the sentence “Do you……”, There is a Forum near the hint button the user only has to click it.

It may be good idea to make an info which says “Make sure to check other topics before creating one” in the levels forum.

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Yes as I said “Pour all you’re ideas here” . :)

kamzhik
10 years ago

Nothing will put a stop to such threads unless we limit their number (e.g. one main thread per level). But the purpose of the site is to help everyone, so that just doesn’t seem right. However, we could add the reminder and see if that helps.

singleton

Although it’s annoying to see yet another thread of someone posting without even trying to search or read previous threads I doubt a reminder of some kind will stop this. The poster wants an answer, wants it right away and is too lazy to do his research.
I think that in the first levels (Main, or even Basic+) it’s even a good thing. They post, they get some help and it creates a community. It’s even best not to answer right away and let the people who just finished these basic levels help the new-comers. If you’ve already finished all the most advanced levels, seeing someone post about basic 1 again without research can drive you crazy.
However, at more advanced levels I suggest that opening a new thread about a level should require moderator approval. This way someone who finished the levels and read all other threads can limit the problem and point whoever wants to open the thread to the relevant (already existing) thread.
Just my 2 cents.

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Aha nice there by @Singleton . But I think taking morderator approval to create a thread will take too long and slow down the forum.
Yea a reminder will be just enough I think! :)

[deleted user]
10 years ago

moderator approval to create a thread would mean a moderator would have to be online 24/7 this would be not be practical to say the least.

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Haha yes exactly thats what I meant. And as far as I know morderators are humans too. :p

[deleted user]

Well there is a way. Only the users who have completed all the Main Level (1 to 10) should be allowed to create a thread in the forum. As mostly these threads are created by new users this will make a stop to the repetitive threads which are being created.

Or there should be target that once you achieve 2500 pts on this website you will be allowed to start a thread in the forum.

Or the best thing is the user should not be allowed to start a new thread for any level till they have completed that level. I mean they can post their replies in the threads which are already out there for that level but they will not have the access to create a new thread for that level unless they have completed that level. And any new level which comes in HT!! a moderator can open up a post for that level and everyone else can reply and put their queries/suggestion on that thread.

What do you all think?

[IAmDevil]

Hmm… I think I told this to flabby once before and also there is a thread too discussing about it!
It had problems like the new users want to join the community and talk but stopping them would discourage them and those who genuinely want some help would be helpless. So restrictions may not be a good idea! :)

[deleted user]
10 years ago

Yes that is good to provide them with freedom to create threads as soon as they join in but they are misusing their freedom. I think the third point which I have put is a win-win cause it’s not just for new members but for everyone so no one is offended.

Cyan Wind [freewind1012]

A warning is not enough to solve this problem. As @singleton pointed out above, some guys just need the answer and they are too lazy to read / to google / to do their research. The problem is still right there when someone doesn’t create a new thread but asks his problem in an old thread like this 9-page thread or that 7-page thread.

As far as I have seen, there were only few members who created duplicated threads. It would be fine if he / she closed it as soon as he / she completed the level. So these ideas seem to be suitable / reasonable:
[list]
[] Automatically close old threads after 180 days (90 days / 45 days…).
[
] Quota: 1 thread / level.
[*] Close the thread as soon as the OP completes the level.
[/list]

A forum / community needs content, discussions or even arguments so it needs to be open. And don’t tell me you guys don’t like a new thread. ;)

Abhi
10 years ago

What about limiting the number of posts a guy can make….
I mean….a newly joined member can post only 4 times a day…..and he gets +5 posts for every level he clears !!
And for making threads…we can have like….he can make only 1 thread in 3 days…I mean he can’t make another thread within the 3 days time of opening a thread…..and his thread limit increases depending on the no. of days he is online … like if he is online for a week…then he can make 2 threads within 3 days….
Just a thought. …. :)

Hackay
10 years ago

To my mind, restricting is not the best way to do.

We have 2 problems : too many new threads and laziness.

Let’s solve both with one thing : a reminder linking to the hints !
It could be something like that :
“We WON’T help you with different hints than THERE, THERE or THERE. Read carefully before posting.”

Abhi

One question : Do you really think that something like reminding will discourage someone from making a new thread for his problem ?
I mean which guy wouldn’t like to get personalised attention and help !!!
@roun512 : same question to you too….Why would a lazy poster open a thread and look for an answer…when he can make a thread for his own problem…whatever it may be !!

???Roun512 [roun512]
10 years ago

Well, if the original poster was able to choose the best answer for each thread as a green tick (Like in stachoverflow) then it will be better and the user will just look at the post that has been marked

Hackay
10 years ago

Good idea to highlight the useful posts !

Statey
10 years ago

What about the post with the highest karma is the highlighted post?
This way not only the poster but everybody could rate the best post.

Abhi
10 years ago

Good option…..but I think the poster should chose his favourite reply…..cause it was his problem that was being talked about .

Statey
10 years ago

and usually the poster disappears and a large discussion about how to solve the level is going on.

Hackay
10 years ago

True @Statey !
The best way to choose interesting hints is to let people knowing the solution vote.

[IAmDevil]

Hmm it seems there had been a nice discussion! :p
Hmm maybe we all should just wait and see what flabby says! :) After all its his decision which will stand!

Discussion thread has been locked. You can no longer add new posts.
1 of 23

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss