Deleting and force closing threads???

Wibben
9 years ago | edited 9 years ago

Would it be a good idea for people to be able to delete threads that they started? I was thinking it would kind of help to eliminate garbage threads littered around the site. But people might abuse it and destroy a lot of good information or just to purposely lower someone’s post count (idk why anyone would do it but what if).
Also, if the OP is a deleted user or not coming back to the site, should there be an option to vote to close the thread (if an x amount of people want the thread closed they can click that button or sth), and it would (maybe maybe not) send an email to the OP asking them to close it. My argument for this feature is to eliminate garbage posts asking for the thread to be closed.

24replies
11voices
296views
???Roun512 [roun512]

[quote=Wibben]eliminate garbage posts asking for the thread to be closed. [/quote]

I agree with you on that, I had a little chat with flabby and he said Posts that’s like “Close your thread”, “Found the answer then close thread” etc.. are considered as SPAM :) but what can you do for people who want to increase their post count! :)

Pawda [Memoria]
9 years ago

but what can you do for people who want to increase their post count!
Just reduce this kind of post from the counter :p

Wibben
9 years ago

it would be a bit hard for the few (1 or 2 I think) moderators to go around the forums looking for these kind of posts, but I guess they could do a search for key words like close thread or something and review everything that comes up

???Roun512 [roun512]
9 years ago

Hehe, Well that will be the hardest thing i guess? I mean In each thread you enter you fine 2+ posts with this :p

@Wibben, No need at all for that, Just a simple message or another line in FAQ saying “The Original Poster will choose whether to close the topic or not Please don’t ask……” You know the rest :p

Although i always was against adding another line to the forum :) (Above i said FAQ not forum) :p

Wibben
9 years ago

Wait there’s a FAQ on this site??? Please direct me to it (I really don’t know). Also the voting to close the thread idea is mainly for users with deleted accounts or ones who just come one once, ask a bunch of questions, and never come back again

???Roun512 [roun512]

lol!, I don’t think there is a link to it anywhere But Here it is :)

Cyan Wind [freewind1012]

Voting for closing a thread is actually a good idea. If the post is older than 60 / 90 days, we members can choose to close it or not. :D

[deleted user]
9 years ago

@roun512 : there are lot of links to the faq, it is the interrogation point, in the first post of each thread :p
I think this is a good idea :)
And what about a thread which close himself ? I mean, when a user creates a thread, he can specify the number of days/weeks/months that he want his thread to be open. And if the user who created the thread is still there just before the thread close, he could re-increase the count if he want. What do you think ?

kamzhik

There should also be an option which counts the votes of those who don’t want to close the thread. This will stop important threads from getting closed and will stop abusing. (same as karma + -)

[IAmDevil]
9 years ago

Hmm lol I too saw the FAQ just now! The idea seems to be nice @Wibben . Try and implement it yourself. ?

? [dfalcon]
9 years ago

with this idea, when a thread was deleated, would the post count for people who had posted go down? or would the posts still count for that person?

[IAmDevil]
9 years ago

Yes ofc the post count will go down. Maybe that’ll lead to some serious drop in posts! :p

Cyan Wind [freewind1012]

We are mainly discussing about how to close an old thread, not to delete it. IMO, delete a large number of old threads every day may mess up the database.

Wibben

I just came up with a way to eliminate those garbage close thread after you’re done posts, if people include

CLOSE the thread after you’re done
in their forum signature, it would constantly appear and there’d be no need for those kind of posts. But this will require the participation of everyone who are somewhat active on the site

Abhi
9 years ago

Not a bad idea , actually its quite good. Not only will it help in notifying everyone to close their threads but will also reduce the number of spam post like :

I wish someone closes this thread and similar stuff !!

Pawda [Memoria]
9 years ago

I don’t think a bunch of closed thread is good as well ..
Seriously, you go on that crypt lvl 6 page and you see 7 threads already closed, it’s not appealing.
More than this, people see the red bar next to the topic and it’s not make anyone want to read it.

I won’t give any name but another challenge board I know only have one topic per level, they don’t lock it and it seems to work just fine.
I’m not sure how they manage to keep only a few page per level, I just know they’re is some cleanup when reply are too much for a spoiler.

A forum should be open on the future not close, a green bar “resolved” would be more appropriate in most of case.

Mystery [kapuccino]
9 years ago

[quote=Memoria]a green bar “resolved” would be more appropriate in most of case. [/quote]
This idea is not bad.

? [dfalcon]
9 years ago

i like that

Abhi

So , I guess we got some nice ideas pertaining to thread management…..perhaps , @flabbyrabbit , would direct us a bit by sharing his opinions….
Anyhow , we got some great ideas here…so cheers to all !! Basically , its about how to manage the forums….we can’t have a large number of closed threads….cause it won’t look nice…at the same time , we can’t let the threads be open cause they ultimately lose their objective .
So , I guess…its upto us….to manage it properly….and it’s just the same , whether we have a vote counter or resolved tag !!

Luke [flabbyrabbit]

So what I reckon is that there should be another option for OP to mark the thread as answered with the ability to mark the most useful posts. This could also come with some extra karma :) The accepted answer will be highlighted to make it easy to see what post helped OP.

One thing that does irritate me is the “close this thread” posts, I find them a lot more annoying that off topic conversations. The best way I see around this is a “flag thread” button, much like the “flag post” button but would give the flagger a list of options, e.g.
* close thread
* off topic thread
* spam
* Illegal
etc..

Threads that have not received any activity in 30 days should be auto-closed IMO…

As a side note, the flag post button is there for a reason. Please refrain from also commenting on the thread about the offending post … it will be removed if necessary and the poster will receive a notification explaining why their post was removed.

[deleted user]
9 years ago

A bit late to the party so I’m only just posting on this issue but firstly: [quote=flabbyrabbit]Threads that have not received any activity in 30 days should be auto-closed IMO…[/quote]

I was going to post this suggestion myself. Something else I wanted to push was the notion of users being able to open threads at all within the challenge help section.

Why not just have one thread for each challenge which is reply only, has no autoclose and no new ones can be created.
How wonderful would it be to have all hints for a particular challenge in one thread?

For those wondering if this would be a good idea, I actually employ this on my own site. Take a look at this for a neat board: https://www.sabrefilms.co.uk/revolutionelite/REbbs/index.php?board=9.0
One thread for each challenge in a section. Pages of replies perhaps but I strongly encourage something like this if we wish to keep the forum neat and managable.

Just my two cents :)

sabretooth

[IAmDevil]

Wouldn’t that become too long of a thread to search and find an answer? And also we (HT community) has a tendency of going off- topic eventually when the thread is open for a long time. Lol
And also there are great spam posters joining this sites every minute. So…

[deleted user]

[quote=IAmDevil]Wouldn’t that become too long of a thread to search an find answer?[/quote]
You mean people actually have to read?! Dear god man, whatever next?
:)

I think you are likely correct. The forums here are much more active. Most discussion on RevEl mainly takes place in the IRC :)

[IAmDevil]
9 years ago

Hehe yeah the forums are more active than IRC here on HT. I think there was a time when the forum here was down donno why, but it would have been such a great time on IRC. I wish i was there. :)

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 25

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss