Basic level X

? [dfalcon]
10 years ago

Can somebody explain to me what the basic level X was comprised of?

42replies
9voices
355views
hackingninja
10 years ago

i think that it was a scavenger hunt around the site.

? [dfalcon]
10 years ago

so i have heard. but specifically what was it?

hackingninja
10 years ago

sorry. im not sure beyond that

? [dfalcon]
10 years ago

ok. do any of you expert hacker dudes know what was in the basic level X?

Wibben
10 years ago

BLX: There were 7 different passwords for the level (they were HEX), spread around the site, and your job was to find all of them. Some of the passwords were out in the open (e.g. One was in the 100% completion bar), and some were in really obscure places (e.g. there was this random php file that had one code). A lot of people had little to no difficulty in finding the first few codes, but the last few really stumped them, but there were some really nice (and obscure) hints in the forums that helped a great ton.

? [dfalcon]
10 years ago | edited 10 years ago

huh. it sounds like a really fun treasure hunt!!!! i wish that the level was still on the site. we should ask flabbyrabbit to put it back on.

? [dfalcon]
10 years ago

how many points was it worth?

Wibben
10 years ago

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I recall somewhere around 75 points for each code.
PS: There is an edit option in the forums, please use it!

? [dfalcon]
10 years ago

so, does that mean that you would the points individually as you found the codes, or that at the end you earned 525 points?

Wibben
10 years ago

Yes, that’s exactly how it worked

hackingninja
10 years ago

no matter how you got the points, 525 points either way! that makes it the second biggest point value level on hackthis!

? [dfalcon]
10 years ago

thats true. and that was a really vague post wibben. you didnt say which one it was

Pawda [Memoria]
10 years ago

The problem by reimplementing level X would be to hide the locations under the source code on github.

? [dfalcon]
10 years ago

im sorry but, i have no idea what github is. what exactly is it?

Pawda [Memoria]
10 years ago

[quote=wiki]GitHub is a web-based hosting service for software development projects that use the Git revision control system. GitHub offers both paid plans for private repositories, and free accounts for open source projects[/quote]
https://github.com/HackThis/hackthis.co.uk

? [dfalcon]
10 years ago

what is the Git revision control system. sorry about my ignorance

Wibben

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Git+revision+control+system
If you need to know something that seems general enough, you can use some basic research skills (i.e. google)

Pawda [Memoria]
10 years ago

Haha @Wibben, I hesitated to do that.
@dfalcon Just see github as a place to store and manage the code of a project. Hackthis is using github, so that means everyone can see the code.

? [dfalcon]
10 years ago

oh! that makes a lot of sense now! thanks for the site Wibben.

? [dfalcon]
10 years ago

so back to the problem of hiding the location of the file on github Memoria, are you saying that it would be hard or impossible? because I think that a lot of HackThis would like to have the level reintroduced and i am also fairly certain that a number of users (myself included) would be happy to help put the level back up IF i was not impossible

Pawda [Memoria]
10 years ago

It’s not impossible, there is some workarounds but if code location are hard-coded in the source code it will just increase complexity.
What would be great is a kind of unobtrusive way to add them anywhere, any-time and with different place for each user.

? [dfalcon]
10 years ago

that would be really cool. thats an interesting idea

[deleted user]
10 years ago

It was a pain in the *** level.

Cyan Wind [freewind1012]

[quote=dfalcon]that would be really cool. thats an interesting idea[/quote]
[quote=dfalcon]a number of users (myself included) would be happy to help put the level back up[/quote]
Yeah, it’s interesting for someone who haven’t known what GitHub is. Just a question to anyone who wants to put that level back: What will we do to be able to hide all hard-coded BLX codes on GitHub?

Pawda [Memoria]
10 years ago

You’re being mean @freewind1012
I know a lot of developers who doesn’t know what is github and not even know what’s an SCM, but it doesn’t mean they can’t help to make such levels.
As for @dfalcon, maybe he has ideas to implements ? Who say you must have programming skills to emit ideas ?

Abhi
10 years ago

@Memoria , if it was about anyone else ; I would have said that he/she really wanted to help but seriously when it comes to this guy , you know….his main agenda has always been : increasing his post count.
So , I guess…its all about spamming !!

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

But its true everyone wants the Gold Forum medal. So i’d say everyone is greedy about that but some guys are just pushing the limits. Anyways back on the topic- this was the most bad and time consuming level of all time, it just took most of the members years to complete it YEARS. There were many guys who helped me with the last two codes. Which were extremely well hidden.
There was this https://s155654.gridserver.com/ that i found! If anyone saw it in time he/she might have had the honor to solve the BLX. :p

Mystery [kapuccino]

@Memoria: I believe that all HT!! users have good intentions to improve this community. However, when I heard that @dfalcon had spammed 50 posts in a row with the same content “I like cheese!” (or whatever), faith in humanity lost again. :p

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

lol i never even had faith! Acts like these makes one a bad character! :/

Pawda [Memoria]
10 years ago

I was actually the first to reach 1000 post and get the golden medals by being an AssHat like used to say @daMage . Since then, I’ve made some progress :p. Everyone should be able to get another chance. Even if I kind of secretly agree with @freewind1012 and you, it doesn’t mean we should be mean with other people.

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Hmm @Memoria can you elaborate what you said in your above post? I did’t quite get it.

Pawda [Memoria]
10 years ago

I got the forum medal by abusing a bug and saw my post count + medal removed after that :p.

@Memoria: You mentioned this incident, didn’t you? :p

Pawda [Memoria]
10 years ago

I would speak only in the presence of my lawyer.

[deleted user]
10 years ago

Why not just remove the Scoreboard all together then the little boys wouldn’t find the need to cheat. I’ll tell you what, I’ve be on here over four years and nothing gets better at least on hackthissite.org cheats and spoilers get punished. I’ve had enough of this site it seems all the n00bs want to do is score points and make themselves look like a hacker to their stupid friends and not the fuck-up they really are. Fuck it I’m off. No need to reply to me as I am deleting my account. Goodby!

[deleted user]

I wonder where @ColdIV is……..

Abhi

Why @tlotr ?? Did he leave the site or what ?
Re : Okay….Got it !!

[deleted user]
10 years ago

I don’t know. Haven’t seen @ColdIV on HT!! in a very long time…..

[IAmDevil]
10 years ago

Hmm? @ANONRA leaving the site? Wtf is happening?

Abhi
10 years ago

God knows what is happening !! He surely shouldn’t leave. He is a great guy and a friend too….was perhaps troubled by something !! :)
Hope he is back when his mood is okay !! :)

? [dfalcon]
10 years ago

well, he hasent deleted his user yet. he was probably just saying to put a point accross

Abhi
10 years ago

I wish he doesn’t do that !!
@dfalcon : How about closing this thread. I guess ,you have got enough information about Basic X !!

Discussion thread has been locked. You can no longer add new posts.
1 of 43

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss