[IAmDevil]
9 years ago | edited 9 years ago

Just a test to see why do I need to click “close thread” button twice!
Edit: Yes excatly! Just tested it. @SFisher I suppose you clicked “close thread” only once. Thats the problem, why does we have to do click it twice?

22replies
5voices
301views
2 replies have been removed
SFisher
9 years ago

Maybe to avoid double-threads if someone clicks it accidentally or something.
Let’s see what the rabbit has to say. :)

[deleted user]

Maybe there is a double meaning. Closing the thread closes this particular discussion. Closing the thread again closes the society as a whole.
Remember in an isolated system, entropy will always increase and this will prove that the system is inherently unsustainable.

Personally I think @flabbyrabbit is simply testing the second law of thermodynamics.
Or maybe I just had too much coffee…

[deleted user]
9 years ago

Coffee is dangerous ^^
I remember that I had to click 3 times to close my last thread ;)

[deleted user]
9 years ago

I just closed the post which I created for Street Fighter and it got closed in 1 click.

[IAmDevil]
9 years ago

So is this some bug? Because I too had to close it twice whenever I created a thread earlier and its different number of clicks for other users too. @flabbyrabbit enlighten me (if you have time). :D

Luke [flabbyrabbit]
9 years ago

This is the first i’ve heard about it, it should only take one click to close a thread…

[IAmDevil]

Ok will try on this thread itself.
Edit: Just tested it, still the same. Clicked it once but the thread is still open as you see it.

Luke [flabbyrabbit]
9 years ago

And if you do it more times it will close? How strange :/

[deleted user]
9 years ago

When you close a thread there is a unique url - does this change in any way between attempts @IAmDevil ?

[IAmDevil]

Indeed @flabbyrabbit it is strange. And yes @sabretooth the URL must change when clicked, I didn’t notice it earlier when I closed any thread but this time when I clicked to close this thread the URL remained the same.

[deleted user]
9 years ago

@IAmDevil : Can you try in a different browser and let us know if it is the same or if it works fine on another browser.

Cyan Wind [freewind1012]

This problem is real, not a myth. I experienced it sometimes and there were some users saying: “Weird! I swear I had closed this thread before!”.

[IAmDevil]

Ok I will try again!
Edit: Hmm… strange in mozilla it closed in one click. Strange! :s

Luke [flabbyrabbit]
9 years ago

reopened

[deleted user]

IAmDevil : Try it in Internet Explorer Next.

[IAmDevil]

I think it needs two clicks. Because I clicked it once via mobile and second time via my PC so that makes two. Again strange!
And what was that @tlotr ? My username invisible or may be in gray color. I remember that being used in a level (where we had to paint the screen). Lol

[deleted user]
9 years ago

It’s in the same color as the background. I cannot make the name grey if I put the @ sign in front. It automatically changes to white color.

[deleted user]

[quote=IAmDevil]I remember that being used in a level (where we had to paint the screen)[/quote]

I really hate lame challenges like that. They are too common and teach nothing :)

Back to the topic. It certainly does seem to be browser-based issue, but why it happens is a total mystery. Any update on this?

Luke [flabbyrabbit]
9 years ago

The only thing that springs to mind is that the CRSF token is being overwritten, which should only happen if you open another tab (with a close thread link in) and then click the link in the original tab.

SFisher
9 years ago

@flabbyrabbit I am pretty sure that was one of the conditions when this happened to me. When I close, usually it’s after replying or editing the last post to say “thread closeed”, and when I’m editing sometimes I have two instances of the same thread (the thread itself and the post edit page); after updating the post I close the thread.

[IAmDevil]
9 years ago

Hmm… Yes @flabbyrabbit it seems to explain that somewhat. So as a solution can it be made like when we click close thread it closes the thread and takes us to a new tab? Would that help?

[deleted user]

Is CSRF protection even necessary for closing threads? I mean each close thread link has its own unique URL and this can only be seen by the user who started the thread in the first place. Due to this acting as a secret token, I don’t see that anyone could apply a CSRF attack in order to make a user close their thread.

EDIT: The only issue is that the token could be subject to bruteforce depending on the length, so hash the token or ensure a strong entropy and everything will be just dandy :)

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 23

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss