Disable Friend Feature

[deleted user]
9 years ago | edited 9 years ago

Is there currently any way to disable the ‘Friend’ feature on this site?
I have found that (especially since solving Real 6) I have friend requests happening often mostly from people I dont even know.

I understand that there is a ‘block’ button, but this is starting to get tiresome.

I think I am not the only one with this sentiment, as I received this message from another user via IRC a few days ago:

just so you know: i cleaned out my friend list on hackthis because i don’t really like the feature. Nothing personal :)

So what is the general opinion, (if it doesn’t already exist) should there be a way to disable this feature for our accounts? :)

I’m interested in your views.

sabre

16replies
7voices
256views
rushA [xzy123prog]

You’re famous dude, gotta deal with the consequences…
Joking aside I haven’t really understood the friend feature on the website, I mean it doesn’t give you any advantages or doesn’t let you see anything special as the accounts are open anyway.
In your case I guess it does get annoying as random users are just asking to be friends with you just for the sake of being friends because I doubt most of them will start communicating. So maybe there should be a disable button for the friend feature for the people who need it.

[deleted user]
9 years ago

[quote=xzy123prog]it doesn’t give you any advantages or doesn’t let you see anything special as the accounts are open anyway.
In your case I guess it does get annoying as random users are just asking to be friends with you just for the sake of being friends because I doubt most of them will start communicating.[/quote]

Exactly this.
The people I currently have on my friends list here are those I talk to daily on IRC and are members of my own site and wechall, and maybe the occasional person I have spoken to for a while over PM.
I can talk to these people anyway regardless of them listed as friends :)

rushA [xzy123prog]
9 years ago

Maybe there should be a feature which allows you PM a person only if you’re friends with them, just an idea of course. Also it has it’s pros and cons, the pros is that it would give the friendship feature a purpose, but the cons would be that random people that you don’t know and that want to ask you questions will want to be friends with you.

Would be interesting to hear what other users think about this.

Cyan Wind [freewind1012]

[quote=sabretooth]I have found that (especially since solving Real 6) I have friend requests happening often mostly from people I dont even know.[/quote]
LOL, please don’t be so full of yourself. There are some guys whom people could ask for hints such as @Memoria (currently the 1st rank), @verath … Personally, I added you yesterday because I added every single contributor / donator of HackThis!!.

However, your idea is reasonable and I agree with it.

[deleted user]

@freewind1012 Full of myself - certainly not. I simply stated a truth that since solving real 6, the frequency of friend requests have increased which may or may not be coincidence :)

Edit - and I should say that rank means little here. It is mostly about who can log in consecutively the longest and spam the forums ;) When the person in 2nd place did not even solve all the challenges, you can see how little the ranking actually means.

rushA [xzy123prog]
9 years ago

@freewind1012 aren’t the forums there specifically for the hints? I understand that sometimes you can PM someone, especially if one is really close and doesn’t want to give the answer away in the forum but as far as my understanding goes I think the forums are mostly used for the hints.

Cyan Wind [freewind1012]

@sabretooth: When I mentioned @Memoria, @verath (who solved Real Level 6)…, I meant their skills, not their ranks. I did not mention @daMage, @Keeper, @roun512 … because it seems that they are too busy to solve levels these days. Why did I say “the 1st rank” in the previous post? Well, if you were a newbie, whom would you ask for help?

@xzy123prog: I believe that the hints will appear in a few days. Keep trying until then! Maybe you will become the hint-giver. I did not even have time to take a proper look. :D

Keeper
9 years ago

I didn’t solve the level not because I don’t have enough time but because I simply can’t.

[deleted user]

@freewind1012 I didn’t mention anything about asking anyone for help, nor for anyone asking me for help. I simply said that the number of friend requests I had increased (perhaps doubled) since I solved real 6. True fact. Not speculation, and no other meaning intended, and it certainly isn’t me being ‘full of myself’ :)
Whether this occurence was due to people seeking help or not, I have no idea because I declined anyway :)

Anyway. Let’s keep this friendly :)

Yeah, we are a little off-topic right now. As I said above, your idea about disabling friend request is nice and I agree with it.

???Roun512 [roun512]

@freewind1012, i’m really being busy these couple days for family problems and i find it a little bit hard :p.

[deleted user]
9 years ago

@roun512 Sorry to hear that. Hope everything works out.

Pawda [Memoria]
9 years ago

I was nearly sure it was a profile option but I can’t find it, at least you can disable the mails sent on each friend request.
+1 for the feature if someone is not too lazy to add it on github.
+2 if we can also disable private message sent from public user.
And a cookie if we can specify a pass-phrase to restrict friends add.

[deleted user]
9 years ago

[quote=Memoria]And a cookie if we can specify a pass-phrase to restrict friends add. [/quote]

Genius. I totally support this, and unless someone beats me to it, I may get to work on these once my rl work has died down a bit :)

Luke [flabbyrabbit]
9 years ago

Disabling friend requests seems like a reasonable suggestion, I am up for that being added.

Something else that has been mentioned before but I haven’t got round to implanting is disabling PMs. As has been correctly pointed out in this thread currently friends are completely pointless, a good solution to tie all this together would be to have a third option for PM:
[list]
[] Allow
[
] Friends only
[*] Disabled
[/list]

Keeper
9 years ago

Well the GitHub branch allows for anyone to write the feature he wants so much himself. Site has been open source for a while now. I would gladly do it, but on the other side I have enough work already.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 17

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss