Crypto Easy/Medium

luxedo
3 years ago

Crypto Easy/Medium
Morse without word/letter spacing

A friend of mine just came up with this idea of encoding messages as morse code without spaces. In his puzzle he used 25 signals that mapped to around 14 million possible combinations. Then it’s a matter of searching for coherent text in this space.

I’ll leave his puzzle here translated to english.
.–..-.-.–.-…-.-

3replies
4voices
360views
jarvisanai
2 years ago | edited 2 years ago

The following are both possible messages, but have a completely different meaning:

SOS HELP= …—… ……-.. .–.=> …—………-…–.
I AM HIS DATE = .. .- – …. .. … -.. .- - . => …—………-…–.

axel35
2 years ago | reply to #80376

Ok see the idea.
So I gess you want to create a way to encrypt data with this new method by using a key containing numbers representing where is the en of each word, right ?
If this is your idea, I’m not an expert but I think that nowadays, computers are enough powerfull to encrypt and find the key. No ? And it could have differents meanings and also many ways to read the same thing.

2 replies have been removed
luxedo
2 years ago

Yes! That would be the problem. Filtering non-existing bigrams or trigrams decreases the search space a lot. Also, it’s necessary to create a flag that is unambiguous from the other possibilities.

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 4

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss