8 Characters to Crash Apple Apps

[deleted user]
11 years ago

Hi I read this yesterday thought it might be of interest?

Apple developers arent usually happy to hear they created the most insecure software across the globe, but as it turned out, they have had to come up with a way of crashing the system so simply everyone can do it without leaving their home.

It turned out that the bug only works in the latest versions of Apples Mountain Lion OS, so if you want to try it you have to upgrade. Anyway, such feature will make you the envy of all your fanboy friends: the matter is that all you have to do is type File:///, which will cause the app to crash. In other words, its all about 8 characters in total (and dont forget to capitalize F) to have any app you want crash without apparent reason.

Only applications that are entirely dedicated to the Apple view of reality will crash this way. In other words, Echofon, QuickTime, Safari, and Notes are proved to crash, while outsiders like Firefox wont crash on demand. The experts explain that the feature in question happens since the software is created around a built-in assertion. Assertions allow programmers to mandate expected behaviour, validating input to assure its correctness, and in our case, the automated data detectors find what a malformed URL. In response, they send off an app exception to report the internal inconsistency, which crashes the app. The reason for crash is simple: Apple developers forgot to write a built-in handler

By:
SaM
February 14th,2013

Poster By: ANONRA :)

13replies
9voices
271views
1image
<? ' / ?> [draethel]
11 years ago

Hmmm…. Guess I won’t by my self the new Apple then, I think i’ll by a lemon instead :)

Or I could stop playing around and just go by a PC. Sorry Apple users :p

[HUNON]
11 years ago

Linux for me

Gninja
10 years ago

Give me a penguin any day lol

Scott [scopes20]
10 years ago

Did you know the linux penguin is called Duke?

Scott [scopes20]
10 years ago

i meant Tux the penguin, i dont know where i got Duke from…

Rahzo
10 years ago

meaning you can crash your own apple computer by writing file:/// ? :P

Gninja
10 years ago

Tux yep :-) I wonder why they went with a penguin lol

Luke [flabbyrabbit]
10 years ago | edited 10 years ago

– Slightly off topic

http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/news/2001/03/42209

[quote=wikipedia]According to Jeff Ayers, Linus Torvalds had a “fixation for flightless, fat waterfowl” and Torvalds claims to have contracted “penguinitis” after being gently nibbled by a penguin: “Penguinitis makes you stay awake at nights just thinking about penguins and feeling great love towards them.” Torvalds' supposed illness is a joke, but he really was bitten by a Little Penguin on a visit to the National Zoo & Aquarium, Canberra, Australia.[/quote]

Gninja
10 years ago

Who would have thought it lol, thanks for the post @flabbyrabbit its a interesting read ^__^

[deleted user]
10 years ago

Linux all the way :)

[deleted user]
10 years ago | edited 10 years ago

How could they forget to create a built in handler to prevent the crash?

I’m naturally attached to Windows, I’ll stick with that.

jayssj11
10 years ago

linux and windows all the way

johntimo
10 years ago

i dont know where i got Duke from…

Fifa 14 Coins
Aion Gold

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 14

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss