Website is frequently down + error creating ticket

KaarinaS
a year ago

Hello everyone,

I’ve tried to use the “contact us” form to contact the defend the web team for my issue but I keep getting “Error creating ticket”. What could be the problem here ?

I’ve decided to expose my issue here in case somone have an idea what’s going wrong and what I can do about it.

I have been using Defend the web for my Cyber Security classes in Business Scoool in Paris for a few years from now. We have a small 3 to 4 hour session where students go through the playgound using hints I provide and I explain them the underlying ideas, what the challenge is about, etc.

However, recently I have stumbled upon as an issue with a website being frequently down when students connect and use the playground. At first, I supposed the problem came from a number of connections to the website all coming from the same university and the same IP address. However, last week I had classes remotely and students connected to the website from their homes and the website was frequently going down, my students were unable to explore and play further. I have fewer than 40 students in my class but connecting simultaneously. Would the connections limit be so small for the website these days?

Could you suggest what could be a problem and would could be a possible solution to let students use the playgound simultaneously during the class at school or from home?

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

4replies
2voices
92views
Zbell [zbell]
a year ago

I have had no problem connecting to the web or doing exercises but I am not able to enter the forum and I am struck by the long inactivity in the few threads I am seeing. Also, no one has replied or reacted to my two posts asking questions on two exercises. The count of views seems to increase when I view my own post, so it is possible that no one has seen them.

All in all, I wonder at the lack of human activity, so I wanted to give feedback. Maybe the web is run on a small scale. If you let me know the time of your course, I can try to log in at that same time span and see if I experience difficulties.

KaarinaS
a year ago

It is possible that the website have low activity lately. From the dashboard log it seems there is something happening every 10 min… When the website was down during the class I checked with https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/ that confirmed the website is down and 2-3 min later it was fine. It could be coming from the number of connections but I’m surprised the website cannot handle 40 users… when it was hackthis I used it with even bigger groups, if a remember correctly.
There are many alternative but the few I know seem less adapted for business students…
Would you mind checking if the “contact us” form doesn’t work for you as well ? I’ve tried to look for a development team on LinkedIn but i didn’t find anyone…

Zbell [zbell]
a year ago

Hi,

I tried from Safari and from Firefox and I get “error creating ticket” in both cases. Maybe it only works from Windows? Accessing the lounge, it tells me to use a different browser.
The lack of discussion is remarkable, I wonder whether nobody has posted questions for years or whether they are not visible from my system. But maybe there is little activity because I started a few days ago with tthe simple challenges and the most recent solution would be hours old
Best,
Zbell

KaarinaS
a year ago

Some active discussions on the forum are 10 years old =)
I hoped that as they have rebranded the website few years ago it will be growing again. Thus, nothing seems to change. I was surprised to see that have removed hints. Hints are very useful for inexperiences learners.

Maybe they have cut the support to minimise costs…

You must be logged in to reply to this discussion. Login
1 of 5

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss