If I'm not editing the real source code, why do...

Intro 9

Luke [flabbyrabbit]
11 years ago

It was using the value in the form to validate the entered email address against the valid one. In a real system you would hope this was stored on the server so that it could not be edited. But in this example the developer decided it would be a good idea to store it in the HTML … a bad idea.

10replies
8voices
370views
J [ColdIV]
11 years ago

You can also use a html file from your desktop to send data to a website. But it won’t harm the server (in normal use)
When you ‘edit’ the page you it won’t be saved it’s just during runtime so you can’t shut a website down doing that you just can edit the script to test something. you could also copy the whole source to a html file on your desktop and edit it there it’s just an easy way.

Luke [flabbyrabbit]
11 years ago

As ColdIV said when you change the code in the browser it only changes it locally. This has the same affect as saving the source code into a file on your machine, editing it and opening that in the browser.

if you are using chrome , it might give you the answer directly

chebhou
11 years ago

please ,where exactly is the code that validate the entered email address against the valid one ?

just use chrome and inspect element in the email box :) that might help you

TheJellyCandy
11 years ago

U can use firefox, too:)

if you use firefox , you need to install firebug i think . so to make it easier just use chrome

markey
10 years ago

I sent the email right what shall I do next
?

Kunai
10 years ago

this wouldnt work in any website … what we gonna learn from this level ? as hackers not developpers

Cyan Wind [freewind1012]
10 years ago | edited 10 years ago

@Kunai: The lesson is that you can manipulate the HTML form and its value(s). It can be a big surprise sometimes.

Discussion thread has been locked. You can no longer add new posts.
1 of 11

This site only uses cookies that are essential for the functionality of this website. Cookies are not used for tracking or marketing purposes.

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Dismiss